1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

X-ray diffraction; atomic form factor

1. Mar 1, 2009 #1
    Hey,

I'm working on a problem about the atomic form factor. I found that the atomic form factor of an fcc lattice of Buckyballs (C60 atoms) looks like f~(sin(Gr))/G multiplied bij some constants.

The question is now to explain from this atomic form factor why the (2,0,0) X-ray diffraction peak is much weaker (compared, for example, to the (1,1,1) peak).

I tried to put the numbers in, but every time I try this, I get (almost) the same answers for the two peaks...:(

What am I doing wrong?

edit: r=constant

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2010 #2
    that is because, 002 is at an higher 2theta value, if you look at braggs law you can see that the d spacing is invers related to theta. Bigger miller index, means smalle d-spacing which in turns meens a larger theta value. And as the form factor falls of with bigger theta values, that is the explanation..

4. Apr 2, 2010 #3
    Hey!
    Can u explain how did you calculate the form factor?
    I don't know how to pass from the vectoric experession to an expression I'll be able to calculate..
    tnx alot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook