1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: X-Ray Diffraction Equation (Mineralogy HW)

1. Mar 31, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Okay so, I was hoping someone out there might be able to assist me with a Mineralogy problem I have. The concept is based around X-Ray Diffraction.

The question:

Derive a diffraction equation from the illustration below that relates the reflection angle (theta) to the wavelength (lambda) and the d spacing (d). Show all of your work so that it is clear that you understand the physics and the math in this important derivation.

Here is a picture of the diagram given...sorry for the poor quality :)
    http://yfrog.com/5m0331102025j

I've been banging my head against this for two days now, and I just dont seem to be getting anywhere with this...Ive tried google, my book, everything at my disposal, I just cant seem to figure this out at all...I am at a stand still because there are 5 other questions related to this problem, but i need to solve this first...can anyone help...Thanks in advance for your time! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I guess it is not for any theta, but for a specific value of theta? One that gives some observable effect? For that effect to happen - is there anything you can tell about FG?

--

4. Apr 1, 2010 #3
    Start with one of the fundamental considerations:
    in terms of that diagram, what are the conditions for constructive vs. destructive interference of the reflected waves?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook