Working out Plane Structure via Powder X-ray Diffraction Multiplicand

In summary, the measured values for the Debye rings correspond to FCC structures for the ##(111)##, ##(200)##, ##(220)##, and ##(311)## planes respectively.
PandaKitten
Homework Statement
I need to work out the structure of NaCl using its Debye rings diameter and the equation below by working out its multiplicand and then assigning the appropriate plane structure to it.
Relevant Equations
(h^2+k^2+l^2)_min * (sin^2(theta_n))/(sin^2(theta_min)) = integer
Below is the measured values for the Debye rings I obtained. I have to multiply the ratio (which is (sin^2(theta_n))/(sin^2(theta_min))) by a multiplicand until I get an integer. However for the multiplicand and the values I measured I get 1, 3, 13, ??, 4, 8, ??. These should either correspond to a cubic structure (1,2,3,4,5...) a body centric structure (2,4,8,10..) or a face centric structure (3,4,8,11,12,16) but they don't correspond to any of them and also they should be in ascending size.
XRD.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what the distance to the screen is, so we can check your calculations?

It's important to be careful to note that the radius of the Debye-Scherrer ring corresponds to an angle of ##2\theta## (and likewise the diameter of the Debye-Scherrer ring corresponds to an angle of ##4 \theta##), if ##\theta## is the scattering angle. Did you take that into account?

Assuming you didn't make a mistake, the first four results at least are approximately in the ratio ##3:4:8:11## which is indeed what you'd expect from FCC, for the ##(111)##, ##(200)##, ##(220)## and ##(311)## planes respectively.

Last edited by a moderator:
etotheipi said:
Do you know what the distance to the screen is, so we can check your calculations?

It's important to be careful to note that the radius of the Debye-Scherrer ring corresponds to an angle of ##2\theta## (and likewise the diameter of the Debye-Scherrer ring corresponds to an angle of ##4 \theta##), if ##\theta## is the scattering angle. Did you take that into account?

Assuming you didn't make a mistake, the first four results at least are approximately in the ratio ##3:4:8:11## which is indeed what you'd expect from FCC, for the ##(111)##, ##(200)##, ##(220)## and ##(311)## planes respectively.
32.5mm
XRD2.png

Your work so far looks correct in that case. Here's what I think, denoting ##N:= h^2 + k^2 + l^2##:

1618683882871.png

It's quite possible that the (311) & (222) peaks, and similarly the (311) & (420) peaks, were so close together that they just appear as a single ring each.

Nonetheless, your results can definitely be matched onto the FCC structure!

Oh I see! I was given this equation that wasn't very well explained. So I assumed that the integer wasn't important and I should multiply them all by different multiplicands. But now I understand. Thank you so much.
XRD3.png

Likes etotheipi
Yeah, the key is that ##\sin^2{(\theta)} / N## is a constant, so the ratio of the ##\sin^2{\theta}##'s of any two rows is the same as the ratio of the ##N = h^2 + k^2 + l^2##'s of those two rows.

So in that sense, your table is a little misleading, because all the multiplicands are of course the same - in this case ##3## - and this multiplication only serves to display the ratios as nice whole numbers. :smile:

1. What is Powder X-ray Diffraction Multiplicand?

Powder X-ray Diffraction Multiplicand is a technique used in materials science to determine the atomic and molecular structure of a sample. It involves exposing the sample to a beam of X-rays and analyzing the resulting diffraction pattern to identify the arrangement of atoms and molecules in the sample.

2. How does Powder X-ray Diffraction Multiplicand work?

Powder X-ray Diffraction Multiplicand works by passing a beam of X-rays through a powdered sample, which causes the X-rays to diffract in specific patterns based on the crystal structure of the sample. These diffraction patterns can then be analyzed to determine the arrangement of atoms and molecules in the sample.

3. What types of materials can be analyzed using Powder X-ray Diffraction Multiplicand?

Powder X-ray Diffraction Multiplicand can be used to analyze a wide range of materials, including crystals, powders, liquids, and thin films. It is commonly used in the study of minerals, metals, ceramics, and pharmaceuticals.

4. What are the benefits of using Powder X-ray Diffraction Multiplicand?

Powder X-ray Diffraction Multiplicand is a non-destructive technique, meaning it does not damage the sample being analyzed. It is also highly accurate and can provide detailed information about the atomic and molecular structure of a sample. Additionally, it is a relatively quick and cost-effective method compared to other analytical techniques.

5. What are some common applications of Powder X-ray Diffraction Multiplicand?

Powder X-ray Diffraction Multiplicand has a wide range of applications in various industries, including materials science, geology, pharmaceuticals, and forensics. It is commonly used to identify unknown substances, analyze crystal structures, and study phase transitions and chemical reactions in materials.