Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Xanthen 3 one and its derivatives

1. Sep 9, 2016 #1
    I need to write essey about xanthen 3 one and its derivatives. But the problem is that on internet there is so little data about xanthen 3 one. Does anyone know is xanthen 3 one same as xanthen ? Does it have other name ? Any information would be great help. These are just some questions I need to answer in order to write essay about it :
    How they work ?
    How they influent on receptors, enzymes ?
    What is its pdb base and code ?
    Is there any data about its influenting on E. coli ?

You dont need to answer just help me with references please :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2016 #2

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

Do you mean xanthan? I think xanthen might be the German spelling, but most names for chemicals use English in what you would search for.

Try this link to start with: https://books.google.com/books?id=Q...PBP8Q6AEIKjAE#v=onepage&q=xanthan 3.1&f=false

Also I am not sure what you mean by the '3 one' - can you provide some context - for example is this about the Xanthomonas bacterium? It makes xanthan gum from carbohydrates. Xanthan is used in cooking as a thickener.

German wiki: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kategorie:Xanthen

Sorry this is best I can do.

4. Sep 9, 2016 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

" -3-one " indicates a "ketone" functionality at the "three" position, but no idea what "xanthen" is.

5. Sep 9, 2016 #4

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Looks like xanthen-3-one is more commonly known as fluorone. Chemspider.com is a good place to look up chemical properties of a substance, and pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov is a good place to look up the biological effects of a compound. Searching for information about the compound may be easier using its CAS number (494-41-7), especially if using a database like SciFinder.

6. Sep 10, 2016 #5
    I also found that fluorone's Iupac name is xanthen 3 one :) Thanks this might help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted