Xenon oxide photochemical preparation?

In summary: However, it is the best I can do for now.In summary, an equimolar mixture of Xenon and Oxygen can be irradiated with strong sunlight to produce clear large crystals.
JohnRC
In 1994 I attended a symposium at University College London to celebrate the centenary of William Ramsay's discovery of argon. In a rather remarkable presentation there some slides were shown of some beautiful clear large crystals in a sealed quartz flask.

If my memory is not playing tricks on me, I think the lecturer said something even more surprising: that the crystals were the result of leaving an equimolar mixture of xenon and oxygen in the flask to be irradiated in strong sunlight in the middle of a sports field. After the photographs were taken the flask was destroyed by throwing stones at it, because the product, an oxide of xenon, was too unstable and explosive to be safely handled in the flask.

It is a long shot, but has anyone else a lead on this experiment? A publication? A similar lecture? Some detail that I might have got wrong? I have failed to find anything like it, but would rather like to have a reference.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Apologies to all. I think I must have misremembered -- have discovered that xenon difluoride can be prepared in an exactly analogous way to what I have described with a mixture of xenon and fluorine gases.

Will leave this thread open just in case anyone does have information about a direct reaction between xenon and oxygen.

I had read that Xenon do not react directly with Oxygen. Instead, Oxides of Xenon are obtained by reacting fluorides of Xenon with Oxygen.

AGNuke said:
I had read that Xenon do not react directly with Oxygen. Instead, Oxides of Xenon are obtained by reacting fluorides of Xenon with Oxygen.

Yes AGNuke, that is certainly the received textbook wisdom.

I did have a purpose in asking specifically about the direct reaction. For many years I have wondered why high pressure xenon lamps occasionally explode with a violence that seems extreme, even allowing for a high working temperature and high internal pressure in the quartz envelope. These lamps are often used as continuous sources of intense UV radiation in photochemical studies.

Was wondering about the possibility of buildup of unstable explosive xenon oxides where the two gases could come into contact in microcracks in a quartz envelope.

Here's what I think of your assertion. According to another divine textbook wisdom, Xenon Short Arc Lamps has high spectral emission in Ultra-Violet region. And it doesn't require explanation what happens to O2 when it is exposed to UV.

Now, if the oxygen diffuses inside the quartz envelope due to some defects or something like that, Ozone will come in direct contact with the Xenon Gas. Correct me here, but I think that Ozone is one of the strongest oxidizing agents, just falling short of Fluorine, which can oxidize Xenon on its own, so why not Ozone?

Then what, for a moment, XeO3 or XeO4 can be formed, both of which are very explosive even at room temperature, let alone at the temperature attained in the Xenon Lamps. Then no need to tell what will happen.

This is the best reasoning I can come up with. I don't know anything about Xenon chemistry. In fact, I only learned 12th grade chemistry in my country, so I don't know whether my "hypothesis" stands or not.

1. How is xenon oxide photochemically prepared?

Xenon oxide can be photochemically prepared by exposing solid or liquid xenon to ultraviolet light in the presence of oxygen gas. This process causes the xenon atoms to react with oxygen and form xenon oxide molecules.

2. What is the purpose of photochemical preparation for xenon oxide?

The purpose of photochemical preparation for xenon oxide is to create a pure and stable form of the compound for use in various research and industrial applications. It also allows for better control of the reaction and results in a more efficient production process.

3. What are the properties of xenon oxide?

Xenon oxide is a colorless gas at room temperature and pressure. It has a strong odor and is highly toxic. It is also a powerful oxidizing agent and can react violently with certain substances. Additionally, it is stable and non-reactive under normal conditions.

4. What are some potential uses for xenon oxide?

Xenon oxide has various potential uses, including as a propellant in rocket engines, a sterilizing agent in medical equipment, and a precursor for synthesizing other compounds. It is also being studied for its potential use in advanced energy storage systems.

5. Are there any safety concerns when working with xenon oxide?

Yes, there are several safety concerns when working with xenon oxide. As mentioned, it is highly toxic and can cause severe health effects if inhaled or ingested. It is also a strong oxidizing agent, so proper handling and storage procedures must be followed to prevent accidents. Proper protective equipment and ventilation should be used when working with this compound.