Y=cx[L−x], The value of the constant c for a perfect circle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 2K views
member 634857

Homework Statement


For the equation y=cx[L−x] say for a circle with the value of L at 100 meters and the value of x at 25 meters.
What would be the value of the constant c for a perfect circle.

3. Attempt at the Solution:
I can approximate and graph this with different values of c however I'm really interested in what is the precise value of c for a perfect circle. I would have to at this point just plug in "1" and see what comes out which really isn't where I wanted to be after reading:
http://www.engineeringwiki.org/wiki/Arch_Structures

Thank You!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Eric Sepich said:

Homework Statement


For the equation y=cx[L−x] say for a circle with the value of L at 100 meters and the value of x at 25 meters.
What would be the value of the constant c for a perfect circle.

3. Attempt at the Solution:
I can approximate and graph this with different values of c however I'm really interested in what is the precise value of c for a perfect circle. I would have to at this point just plug in "1" and see what comes out which really isn't where I wanted to be after reading:
http://www.engineeringwiki.org/wiki/Arch_Structures

Thank You!
Are you sure that's the equation? Looks more parabolic to me than a circle...
 
I agree. That isn’t a circle. Also, what could it possibly mean about being a circle at a particular value of x? This problem seems to be nonsense
 
A circle is simply a form then of conic and so is a parabola. They should overlap at some point. ?
 
Eric Sepich said:
A circle is simply a form then of conic and so is a parabola. They should overlap at some point. ?
The equations have different forms. Do you see how the powers of the variables are different for the different conic sections?
 
berkeman said:
Do you see how the powers of the variables are different for the different conic sections?
From the Wikipedia article on conic sections:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conic_section

upload_2018-9-10_13-43-44.png
 
Attachments
  • upload_2018-9-10_13-43-44.png
    upload_2018-9-10_13-43-44.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 488
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: SammyS
I apologize but that doesn't answer my question as well I was insulted first and your the insults I'm afraid. I wish to dissolve my account at this point. The services of your members are no longer required by me.
 
Eric Sepich said:
A circle is simply a form then of conic and so is a parabola. They should overlap at some point. ?
As already mentioned, the equations are different. The equation for a parabola is first degree in one variable and second degree in the other variable. For a circle, both variable occur to the second power. I don't know what you mean by "they should overlap at some point."

The equation that @berkeman shows in the table, ##y^2 = 4ax## is of a parabola that opens to the right (if a > 0). The equation ##x^2 = 4ay## is that of a parabola that opens upward.

Your equation, ##y = cx(L - x)## is a parabola that opens downward, assuming that both c and L are positive constants. There is no value of c that makes this the equation of a circle.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
Eric Sepich said:
I was insulted first and your the insults I'm afraid
No, you weren't insulted. Members here were questioning the validity of the question you asked -- these were not insults, nor were they directed to you.