Car speeding up around a circle

In summary, the car is being driven around in circles at a speed of 12.0 m/s. It is speeding up with a derivative of 1.00 m/s^2 and it is in the +y direction from the center of the circle at time t=10.83 s. At time t=10.83 s it is directly in the +y direction from the center of the circle and has an average acceleration of 1.00 m/s^2. The car returns to the position where it started at time t=0.
ooccoo

Homework Statement

A car is being driven around in circles. The radius of the circle being made is R = 150.0 m. At t = 0, the car is on the left edge of the circle (therefore it is in the −x direction away from the center of
the circle if your origin is placed at the center), and it is moving in the +y direction. The initial speed is 12.0 m/s. However,
it is speeding up, with dv/dt = 1.00 m/s^2.

(a) What are the values of the displacement, velocity, and acceleration at t = 0?

(b) At time t = 10.83 s, it is now directly in the +y direction from the center of the
circle. What are the values of the displacement, velocity and acceleration?

(c) What was the average acceleration between t = 0 and t = 10.83 s?

(d) What is the value of t when you return to the position where you started?

Homework Equations

a=(dv/dt)(v-hat) - (v^2/R)(r-hat)

the hats are a function of where you are, and always point in different directions

and I believe a-hat would = a(vector) / |a (vector)| <<Absolute value... like magnitude.

The Attempt at a Solution

For a.) I believe that displacement would be 0 since the car hasn't moved. Velocity would be 12m/s in the +y direction, and acceleration would be 1.00 m/s^2 since acceleration is the derivative of velocity

For B, I start to get lost. I believe that I need to use the equation: [a=(dv/dt)(v-hat) - (v^2/R)(r-hat)]

I know that velocity is tangent to the circle and if the speed was constant, the acceleration would point directly at the center of the circle(making this problem easier) but instead it is point slightly forward

but I am getting thrown off by the fact that we're given the amount of time that has passed and the distance traveled (a fourth of the circumference)

any help would be greatly appreciated, my semester is almost over and I really want to understand this stuff before i go home for winter break. Thank you for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
ooccoo said:
For a.) I believe that displacement would be 0 since the car hasn't moved.
I suspect they mean displacement measured from the origin.
Velocity would be 12m/s in the +y direction, and acceleration would be 1.00 m/s^2 since acceleration is the derivative of velocity
Don't forget that it's moving in a circle. What about the radial component of acceleration?

For B, I start to get lost. I believe that I need to use the equation: [a=(dv/dt)(v-hat) - (v^2/R)(r-hat)]
You needed that for A as well.

I know that velocity is tangent to the circle and if the speed was constant, the acceleration would point directly at the center of the circle(making this problem easier) but instead it is point slightly forward
OK.

but I am getting thrown off by the fact that we're given the amount of time that has passed and the distance traveled (a fourth of the circumference)
It seems as if you are given too much information. Given the initial speed, radius, and tangential acceleration, you should be able to calculate the time to travel 1/4 of the circle. (Try it!)

Unfortunately the data do not seem consistent. Are you sure you are presenting the problem exactly as it was given?

In fact I am, which is why I'm confused. I'll try working with your reply and if i have an Aha! moment i will add on here. thank you!

Perhaps what they meant by acceleration is the centripetal acceleration? If the linear acceleration is given?

Doc Al said:
I suspect they mean displacement measured from the origin.
I would think not. Displacement should mean change in position.
Don't forget that it's moving in a circle. What about the radial component of acceleration?
swsw said:
Perhaps what they meant by acceleration is the centripetal acceleration?
No, I agree with Doc Al they likely mean total acceleration, so the vector sum of the two. But it would have been better if they'd written the tangential acceleration as d|v|/dt.
Doc Al said:
Unfortunately the data do not seem consistent. Are you sure you are presenting the problem exactly as it was given?
It would match up if the radius were 120 m.

haruspex said:
Displacement should mean change in position.
That's what it should mean, but from what point? (I suppose you can take the point where t=0, but that wasn't specified.)
It would match up if the radius were 120 m.
Good catch. I'll bet the 150 m is a typo.

1. How does the speed affect the car's ability to make a turn around a circle?

The speed of the car affects the centripetal force required to keep the car moving in a circular path. The faster the car is moving, the greater the centripetal force needed to keep it from flying off the track.

2. What is the role of friction in a car speeding up around a circle?

Friction plays a crucial role in allowing the car to make a turn around a circle. The friction between the tires and the road provides the necessary centripetal force to keep the car moving in a circular path.

3. Can a car maintain a constant speed while turning around a circle?

No, a car cannot maintain a constant speed while turning around a circle. The car must either speed up or slow down in order to maintain a constant radius of curvature and centripetal force.

4. How does the radius of the circle affect the speed of the car?

The speed of the car increases as the radius of the circle decreases. This is because a smaller radius requires a greater centripetal force, which can be achieved by increasing the speed of the car.

5. What is the relationship between the mass of the car and its ability to turn around a circle?

The mass of the car does not directly affect its ability to turn around a circle. However, a heavier car may require a greater centripetal force to keep it moving in a circular path, which can be achieved by increasing the speed or decreasing the radius of the circle.