Finding value of constants of quadric equation by experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the values of constants (a, b, c) in a quadratic equation that describes the relation between two physical quantities. The speaker suggests using a least squares fit method by writing the system of linear equations in matrix form and solving for the vector of constants using the inverse of the matrix.
arpon

Homework Statement

Suppose, the following equation describes the relation between an independent and a dependent variable physical quantities(that will be measured by experiments; for example, temperature, current, voltage etc) x & y :
##y = ax^2 + bx + c##
We have to find the values of the constants (a, b, c).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done this experiments for linear relations ,i.e. y = mx + c, where the y-intercept is c and the slope is m. I have also performed experiments for equations like ##y = ax^2## . In this case, I plotted a graph ##y## vs ##x^2##, and the slope of the straight line is ##a##.
In this case, I can easily find the values of a, b, c by taking three pairs of (x, y) value and then solving the three equations, but it gives me less accurate answer.
What is the best way to find the values of the constants in this experiment?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are given x and y values, the fact that it is a quadratic is unimportant. Rather, you have a system of linear equations in three unknowns.
Assuming you have more than three pairs of x,y values, it is overspecified. There is a standard equation for getting the least squares fit.
If you write the system in matrix form AX=Y, (X being the vector a, b, c, and A being the matrix of 1, x, x2 values) ATA ought to be invertible. The least squares solution is X=(ATA)-1ATY.

Likes arpon

1. What is the purpose of finding the value of constants of a quadric equation through experimentation?

The purpose of this experiment is to determine the values of the constants in a quadric equation (such as the coefficients of x^2, x, and the constant term) in order to better understand and predict the behavior of the equation. This can also help in solving real-world problems that involve quadric equations.

2. How is the value of the constant determined in this experiment?

The value of the constant is determined by conducting multiple experiments and collecting data points that correspond to the different values of the independent variable. These data points are then plotted on a graph and the constant is calculated by fitting a line or curve to the data points.

3. What are some potential sources of error in this experiment?

Some potential sources of error in this experiment could include measurement errors, human errors in recording data, and variations in the experimental conditions. It is important to take these potential sources of error into consideration when analyzing the results.

4. Can this experiment be used to find the values of constants for any type of quadric equation?

Yes, this experiment can be used to find the values of constants for any type of quadric equation, including parabolas, ellipses, and hyperbolas. However, the specific method of experimentation and data analysis may vary depending on the type of equation.

5. How accurate are the values of constants determined through experimentation?

The accuracy of the values of constants determined through experimentation can vary depending on the quality of the data and the methods used. However, with careful experimentation and analysis, these values can be quite accurate and can provide valuable insights into the behavior of quadric equations.