Y= l sin x l < absolute value of sinx

In summary: It's the value of sin(x) that determines whether to use y = sin x or y = -sin x.In summary, the conversation discusses the graph of y = |sin x| and how it is determined by the value of sin x. The absolute value function reflects any negative values across the x-axis, resulting in a graph that is always nonnegative. The conversation also clarifies some misconceptions about the relationship between the absolute value and negative values.
Cudi1

Homework Statement

y= l sin x l < absolute value of sinx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

y= l sin x l= sinx, if x>0
-sinx, if x< 0
0, if x=0
I get that part, but when i draw the graph I don't get it

Physics news on Phys.org
Cudi1 said:

Homework Statement

y= l sin x l < absolute value of sinx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

-sinx, if x< 0
0, if x=0
I get that part, but when i draw the graph I don't get it
What about the graph don't you get?

why are all y values above the x axis?

Because it's an absolute value. You say that y = | sin x |, so the y-values can only be 0 or positive. If you take the graph of f(x) = sin x (without the absolute value), reflect all of the graph that is below the x-axis, across the x-axis, you will get the graph of y = | sin x |.

That's what the absolute value does.

BTW, what you have here is incorrect -
Cudi1 said:
-sinx, if x< 0
0, if x=0
It should be
|sin x| = sin x, if sin x >= 0
-sin x, if sin x < 0

ye, i noticed so all y values must be positive? but if i make it into a piecewise function then for sinx, if sinx >=0 then if i input 3pi/2 i would get a negative y value (-1)

Actually, the y values for y = |sin x| are nonnegative.

It's not clear to me what you're asking. |sin (3pi/2)| = |-1| = 1.

y=sinx if sinx>=0 so if i input a value of 3pi/2, wouldn't that give me a negative number?

Yes, but so what? You are working with y = |sin x|.

The graph of y = |sin x| will agree exactly with the graph of y = sin x wherever sin x is >= 0. For the intervals where y = sin x < 0, the absolute value will flip them across the x-axis.

k got it, so when x<0 it gets reflected across the x axis, for the other values since we are dealing with absolute value, an aboslute value of a negative is positive. Thanks, only reason I got confused is when you put it in from sinx, if sinx>=0 and when sinx<0 thanks

Cudi1 said:
k got it, so when x<0 it gets reflected across the x axis
Not necessarily. The graph is reflected across the x-axis when sin(x) < 0, which happens when -pi < x < 0, or when pi < x < 2pi, and a bunch of other intervals.
Cudi1 said:
, for the other values since we are dealing with absolute value, an aboslute value of a negative is positive. Thanks, only reason I got confused is when you put it in from sinx, if sinx>=0 and when sinx<0 thanks
That's how you need to look at it. It's not just when x >= 0 or x < 0.

1. What does "Y= l sin x l < absolute value of sinx" mean?

The equation "Y= l sin x l < absolute value of sinx" represents the absolute value of the sine of x being less than Y. This means that the output value of the sine function will always be a positive number less than Y.

2. How do you graph "Y= l sin x l < absolute value of sinx"?

To graph this equation, you would start by plotting the points of the absolute value of sinx, which will create a V-shaped curve. Then, you would plot the line y=Y, which will act as a horizontal boundary. The region between the two graphs represents the solutions to the inequality.

3. What are the solutions to "Y= l sin x l < absolute value of sinx"?

The solutions to this inequality are all values of x that fall within the region between the absolute value of sinx and the line y=Y. This means that the solutions can be any value of x that falls within the V-shaped curve, as long as it is below the horizontal line y=Y.

4. How can this equation be used in science?

This equation can be used in science to represent relationships between variables. For example, it can be used to describe the behavior of a pendulum or the amplitude of a sound wave. It can also be used to analyze data and make predictions in various scientific fields such as physics, biology, and engineering.

5. What is the purpose of using absolute value in this equation?

The absolute value in this equation ensures that the output value of the sine function is always positive, regardless of the input value of x. This is important because it allows us to more accurately represent the behavior of the sine function and its relationship with Y. It also helps to simplify the graphing and analysis of the equation.