1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Y= l sin x l < absolute value of sinx

1. Sep 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    y= l sin x l < absolute value of sinx

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    y= l sin x l= sinx, if x>0
    -sinx, if x< 0
    0, if x=0
    I get that part, but when i draw the graph I don't get it

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What about the graph don't you get?

4. Sep 19, 2010 #3
    why are all y values above the x axis?

5. Sep 19, 2010 #4

eumyang

Homework Helper

Because it's an absolute value. You say that y = | sin x |, so the y-values can only be 0 or positive. If you take the graph of f(x) = sin x (without the absolute value), reflect all of the graph that is below the x-axis, across the x-axis, you will get the graph of y = | sin x |.

6. Sep 19, 2010 #5

Mark44

That's what the absolute value does.

BTW, what you have here is incorrect -
    It should be
    |sin x| = sin x, if sin x >= 0
    -sin x, if sin x < 0

7. Sep 19, 2010 #6
    ye, i noticed so all y values must be positive? but if i make it into a piecewise function then for sinx, if sinx >=0 then if i input 3pi/2 i would get a negative y value (-1)

8. Sep 19, 2010 #7

Mark44

Actually, the y values for y = |sin x| are nonnegative.

It's not clear to me what you're asking. |sin (3pi/2)| = |-1| = 1.

9. Sep 19, 2010 #8
    y=sinx if sinx>=0 so if i input a value of 3pi/2, wouldn't that give me a negative number?

10. Sep 19, 2010 #9

Mark44

Yes, but so what? You are working with y = |sin x|.

The graph of y = |sin x| will agree exactly with the graph of y = sin x wherever sin x is >= 0. For the intervals where y = sin x < 0, the absolute value will flip them across the x-axis.

11. Sep 19, 2010 #10
    k got it, so when x<0 it gets reflected across the x axis, for the other values since we are dealing with absolute value, an aboslute value of a negative is positive. Thanks, only reason I got confused is when you put it in from sinx, if sinx>=0 and when sinx<0 thanks

12. Sep 20, 2010 #11

Mark44

Not necessarily. The graph is reflected across the x-axis when sin(x) < 0, which happens when -pi < x < 0, or when pi < x < 2pi, and a bunch of other intervals.
    That's how you need to look at it. It's not just when x >= 0 or x < 0.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook