1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Y=ln(3-x) How to transform it? What is wrong with my logic?

1. Sep 25, 2012 #1
    Hi, my name is Tim, I am new to this forum. Here's the description:

I don't understand how they've done it. I realise I can plot this, but what is the logic.

As a graph, I drew ln(-x) first, then added 3, so move left by 3 but that was not correct
    I can see they've added 3 first, move left 3. Then they minus 1 times x. Or have they done it another way?
    Why wasn't the first one correct, it makes sense to me

I also tried another approach which was ln(-(x-3)) so I first drew ln(x-3), and then I minus 1 times x, so I flipped it against the y axis. That also did not work, what is wrong with the logic on this one as well?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2012 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I really don't understand. The graph of [itex] \ln(3-x) [/itex] is the curve which has exactly the same shape as [itex] \ln x [/itex], only that it is "crosses" the Ox axis in x=2 and diverges rapidly to [itex] -\infty [/itex] in x=3.

In other terms, it the graph of [itex] \ln -x [/itex] (which you get from the graph of [itex] \ln x [/itex] by rotating it around the Oy axis) shifted rightwards on the Ox axis by 3 units.

4. Sep 26, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the reply. Can you please explain/reword

I'm looking at it as transformation, so just like y=(x^2 + 3) moves x^2 up 3 units. Why isn't y=ln(3-x) moving ln(-x) 3 times to the left? and also to the last part of my question of my first post, if you write it as ln(-(x-3)) why wouldn't that work?

much appreciate for the help

5. Sep 26, 2012 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Why not? Because ln(3-x) is not the same as (ln(-x)) - 3

You should be able to show, viewing it as the sum of two logarithms,
    ln(-x) - 3 = ln( (-x) / (e³) )

6. Sep 26, 2012 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Here's why.

Basic function: y = ln(x)
    Reflection across y-axis: y = ln(-x)
    Translation: y = ln(-x + 3) = ln(-(x - 3))
    Notice that this is a translation to the right by 3 units of the graph of y = ln(-x).
    Draw the basic untransformed graph, y = ln(x)
    Reflect across the y-axis to get y = ln(-x)
    Translate right by 3 units to get y = ln(-(x - 3)

On the first graph, one point is (1, 0).
    On the reflected graph, this point moves to (-1, 0) [Check: ln(-(-1)) = 0]
    On the translated graph, this point (in previous step) moves to (2, 0) [Check: ln(-(2 - 3)) = ln(-(-1)) = ln(1) = 0.

7. Sep 28, 2012 #6
    Thanks for the responses.

After reading mark's reply its starting to clear up more. Much appreciate the help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook