Second derivative differential equations in terms of y?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving differential equations of the form ##\frac{dy}{dx}=f(y)## and whether it is possible to solve ones in the form of ##\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}=f(y)##. One method involves introducing ##z## as a new variable to create a system of two differential equations, and this process can be iterated to higher orders. Another method involves multiplying both sides by ##y'## and integrating once with respect to ##x##, and then determining the constant of integration from the initial conditions. This reduces the problem to a first-order separable ODE. There is some confusion about how to integrate on the left hand side, but it is necessary
Saracen Rue
Firstly I know how to do this with first derivatives in differential equations - for example say we had ##\frac{dy}{dx}=4y^2-y##, and we're also told that ##y=1## when ##x=0##.

##\frac{dy}{dx}=4y^2-y##
##\frac{dx}{dy}=\frac{1}{4y^2-y}=\frac{1}{y\left(4y-1\right)}=\frac{4}{4y-1}-\frac{1}{y}##
##\int _{ }^{ }\frac{dx}{dy}dy=\int _{ }^{ }\frac{4}{4y-1}dy-\int _{ }^{ }\frac{1}{y}dy##
##x=\ln \left(\left|4y-1\right|\right)-\ln \left(\left|y\right|\right)+c##

Substituting in ##y=1## and ##x=0##, we can find ##c##:
##x=\ln \left(\left|4y-1\right|\right)-\ln \left(\left|y\right|\right)+c##
##0=\ln \left(3\right)+c,\ c=-\ln \left(3\right)##
##x=\ln \left(\left|4y-1\right|\right)-\ln \left(\left|y\right|\right)-\ln \left(3\right)##
##x=\ln \left(\frac{\left|4y-1\right|}{3\left|y\right|}\right)##
##3e^x=\left|4-\frac{1}{y}\right|##
##4-\frac{1}{y}=-3e^x,4-\frac{1}{y}=3e^x##

Because we know that ##y## has to equal postive ##1## when ##x## equals ##0##;
##4-1=-3e^0,\ 4-1=3e^0##
##3=-3,\ 3=3##
As the first statement is false, the second one must be true.
##∴4-\frac{1}{y}=3e^x##
##\frac{1}{y}=4-3e^x##
##y=\frac{1}{4-3e^x}##.

So as you can see it's relatively simple to solve a differential equation of the form ##\frac{dy}{dx}=f\left(y\right)##, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to solve one in the form of ##\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}=f\left(y\right)##. I've tried looking it up online but I haven't been able to find anything useful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Saracen Rue said:
So as you can see it's relatively simple to solve a differential equation of the form ##\frac{dy}{dx}=f\left(y\right)##, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to solve one in the form of ##\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}=f\left(y\right)##. I've tried looking it up online but I haven't been able to find anything useful.
One can introduce ##z:=\frac{dy}{dx}=f\left(x,y\right)## and get a system of two differential equations of order one. The other equation is ##\frac{dz}{dx}=f\left(x,y,z\right)##. This process can be iterated to higher orders. You can look for ODE (ordinary differential equations) to solve such systems.

Saracen Rue said:
So as you can see it's relatively simple to solve a differential equation of the form ##\frac{dy}{dx}=f\left(y\right)##,
It's not necessarily that simple -- you have to be able to integrate ##\int \frac{dy}{f(y)}##.

Saracen Rue said:

Multiply both sides by [itex]y'[/itex] and integrate once with respect to [itex]x[/itex] to obtain [tex]
\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)^2 = 2\int f(y)\,dy.[/tex] Now just determine the constant of integration from the initial conditions, and work out whether you need the positive root or the negative root, and the problem is reduced to a first-order separable ODE.

pasmith said:
Multiply both sides by [itex]y'[/itex] and integrate once with respect to [itex]x[/itex] to obtain [tex]
\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)^2 = 2\int f(y)\,dy.[/tex] Now just determine the constant of integration from the initial conditions, and work out whether you need the positive root or the negative root, and the problem is reduced to a first-order separable ODE.
Thank you for you're help but I still find myself a little confused about how you arrived at [itex]\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)^2 = 2\int f(y)\,dy.[/itex]

I tried multiplying both sides by ##\frac{dy}{dx}## and then integrating both sides with respect to ##x## and this is what I got;
[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}=f\left(y\right)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}\cdot \frac{d}{dx}\cdot \frac{dy}{dx}=f\left(y\right)\cdot \frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]
[tex]\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)^2\cdot \frac{d}{dx}=f\left(y\right)\cdot \frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]
[tex]\int _{ }^{ }\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)^2\cdot \frac{d}{dx}\cdot dx=\int _{ }^{ }f\left(y\right)\cdot \frac{dy}{dx}\cdot dx[/tex]
[tex]\int _{ }^{ }\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)^2\cdot d=\int _{ }^{ }f\left(y\right)\cdot dy[/tex]

I am unsure of what to do on the left hand side - how am I supposed to integrate without a variable for which to integrate with respect to. I'm also not sure why you have a two out the front of the integral on the right hand side, but I'm guessing that the answer to my first question will probably explain that as well.

1. What is a second derivative differential equation in terms of y?

A second derivative differential equation in terms of y is an equation that involves the second derivative of a function y with respect to an independent variable, such as x. This type of equation is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model systems that involve acceleration, rates of change, or curvature.

2. How is a second derivative differential equation solved?

To solve a second derivative differential equation in terms of y, one can use various techniques such as separation of variables, integration by parts, or substitution. It is also possible to use numerical methods, such as Euler's method, to approximate a solution.

3. What are some common applications of second derivative differential equations in terms of y?

Second derivative differential equations in terms of y are used to model a wide range of phenomena, including the motion of objects under the influence of gravity, the flow of fluids, and the behavior of electrical circuits. They are also used to study the behavior of systems in control theory, population dynamics, and other areas of science and engineering.

4. Can a second derivative differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a second derivative differential equation can have multiple solutions. In fact, many second derivative differential equations have infinitely many solutions, as they represent families of curves rather than specific functions. The number and type of solutions will depend on the initial conditions and the specific equation being solved.

5. Are there any real-world limitations or assumptions when using second derivative differential equations in terms of y?

Yes, there are some limitations and assumptions when using second derivative differential equations in terms of y. These equations may not accurately model complex systems with non-linear behavior, and they often require simplifying assumptions to make them solvable. Additionally, the solutions obtained from these equations may only be valid in certain ranges of the independent variable and may need to be verified experimentally.