Yarrrgh I'm helping this guy with calc 1 and apparently I suck now

• Thread starter schattenjaeger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calc 1
In summary, the conversation is about solving limit problems involving derivatives, integrals, and radical expressions. The first two problems are solved by using binomial series and manipulating the expressions algebraically. The third problem involves finding two functions whose limits as x approaches 0 do not exist, but their sum's limit does exist. The solution involves choosing a function with no limit and its negative counterpart. The conversation also discusses the usage of calculators and the importance of not dismissing problems that seem impossible at first.
schattenjaeger
Limits:( If it were things like derivatives and integrals I'd be good to go but nooooo, stupid limits

lim(x-->0) [(1+ax)^(1/3)-1]/x=1

find a such that this is true. Guessing on my calculator tells me its 3 but I don't know how to do it analytically. My first guess is clear the radical, but I don't know how to clear a cube root without making it worse, if you can

lim(x-->2)[sqrt(6-x)-2]/[sqrt(3-x)-1]=?

again, calculator tells me 1/2, but I can't. Trying to clear either numerator or denominator of its radicals gets either the top or bottom to be 2-x and the other side to be a bigger mess which I can decipher.

and finally, pick two functions f(x) and g(x) such that lim(x-->0)[f(x)+g(x)] exists, but f(x) and g(x)'s limits as x-->0 DON'T exist

I really don't think that's possible and wouldn't know where to start finding those functions if it weren't

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, and no derivatives yet, so no l'Hopital's Rule

Expand the cube root bit as a binomial series.

Actually I just figured that one out

First step is multiply out that x, then subtract the 1, cube both sides, and everything falls into place from there

the second one has me MEGAstumped though

I would get rid of the square root term on the top...

I'll let you have a go at doing this.

Getting rid of either square root doesn't seem to help. Like I said you get 2-x on the side you do it on and some ridiculous string of stuff that still ends up as 0.

Like you saud, if you try to get rid if the square root above, you get 2-x in the numerator. If you try to get rid of the square root below, you also get 2-x, but in the denominator. That should give you an idea on what to do. What if you got 2-x on both sides?

The third one is trivial. Take some f with no limit as x->0, say sin(1/x), and let g = -f :tongue2:

I KNEW it

always happens, problems where my first instinct is "hey that's not possible" usually have really simple solutions.

What is Calc 1?

Calc 1, short for Calculus 1, is a college-level mathematics course that covers topics such as limits, derivatives, and integrals.

Why do people struggle with Calc 1?

Many people struggle with Calc 1 because it requires a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry, as well as the ability to think abstractly and critically.

What are some tips for understanding Calc 1?

Some tips for understanding Calc 1 include practicing regularly, seeking help from a tutor or professor, and breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts.

Is Calc 1 necessary for my major?

Calc 1 is a required course for many science, engineering, and math majors as it provides a strong foundation for higher level courses in these fields.

Can I still succeed in Calc 1 if I struggle initially?

Yes, struggling initially in Calc 1 does not mean you cannot succeed. With hard work, dedication, and seeking help when needed, you can still achieve success in the course.