How can I modify a LM337 circuit to increase current output?

In summary, the speaker discusses their experience in modifying a dual linear bench power supply to increase the current output. They successfully increased the positive rail to 5 amps, but are struggling to modify the negative rail using an LM337 circuit. They are seeking advice and suggestions for how to achieve this modification. They also share two images, one depicting their original setup and the other showing their achieved result on the positive side. Additionally, they mention a potential design using a 2N3055 and LM337.
Tolklein
So many moons ago I made myself a pretty bog standard dual linear bench power supply using an LM317 and LM337 to give me -15 - 0 - +15.
In an attempt to get more current out of it (for no real reason other than because I can) I got a larger transformer and a beefier rectifier, then using the ever faithful 2N3055 and a pretty standard schematic managed to get a good 5amps out of the positive rail.

However modifying the negative rail has pushed my googling skills to the limit, and I'm at a loss as to how to go about modifying the existing LM337 circuit to also boost the final current output.

Any advise or suggestions on where to look would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.
Attached images are more or less what I'm referring to, the first pretty much being what I had, and the second, what I've achieved, on the positive side anyway...
psu_sch.gif
lm317.gif

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here is a quick concept design that uses a 2N3055 with the LM337.

packed_result.png

Likes jim hardy
Baluncore said:
ere is a quick concept design that uses a 2N3055 with the LM337.
i like the simplicity and parts count !

Collector output on pass transistor may be sensitive to capacitive loading, so use plenty.
focus.ti.com/download/trng/multimedia/dsp/OLT/1106_presentation.pptx

What is a "Ye Olde Linear Power Supply"?

A "Ye Olde Linear Power Supply" refers to an older type of power supply that uses a linear regulator to convert AC voltage to a stable DC voltage. It was commonly used in electronic devices before switching power supplies became more popular.

How does a "Ye Olde Linear Power Supply" work?

A "Ye Olde Linear Power Supply" works by using a transformer to step down the AC voltage, followed by a rectifier to convert it to DC. The DC voltage then passes through a linear regulator, which adjusts the voltage to a stable level before being output to the device.

What are the advantages of using a "Ye Olde Linear Power Supply"?

The main advantage of using a "Ye Olde Linear Power Supply" is its simplicity. It has a relatively simple design and is less prone to electrical noise compared to other power supply types. It also provides a more stable output voltage, making it suitable for sensitive electronic devices.

What are the disadvantages of using a "Ye Olde Linear Power Supply"?

One of the main disadvantages of using a "Ye Olde Linear Power Supply" is its low efficiency. It wastes a lot of energy in the form of heat, which can be a problem for devices that require a lot of power. It also has a limited range of input voltages and can be affected by variations in the input voltage.

Is a "Ye Olde Linear Power Supply" still used in modern electronic devices?

While "Ye Olde Linear Power Supplies" are still used in some devices, they have largely been replaced by more efficient and compact switching power supplies. However, they are still commonly used in simple electronic devices and can be a more cost-effective option for low-power applications.