1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Year 11: Centripetal Acceleration/Force "Challenging" questi

1. Jul 21, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey there :), I am in year 11 and my teacher has assigned me with this "challenging question".

12. A motorcyclist leans his machine over so that it makes an angle of 55 degrees with the surface of the track as he negotiates a corner.
    a.) If (due to the treat on his tyres and track conditions) he is able to safely do this up to a maximum speed of 100 km h^-1, what is the smallest radius of curvature that the corner can have?

2. Relevant equations
    Centripetal Force and acceleration

3. The attempt at a solution
    I rearranged tan(theta)= v^2/gr
    to make r the subject.

But the answer is completely different to what the textbook says is the answer.
    Answer: 112m

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I really want to do well in physics this term!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2017 #2
    Solved. I interpreted the free-force diagram I drew wrong, placing the opp/adj in the wrong place, lool.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted