You approach a planet at a velocity near c, what do you see?

In summary, when traveling toward a planet at near light speed, you would see it age at a rate relative to the time dilation you are experiencing. This can be calculated using the relativistic Doppler effect, with the observed frequency being 4.36 times higher than the source frequency if traveling at 0.9c. However, due to the blue shift, it would be difficult to see with the naked eye. With an electronic telescope, one could potentially see the planet's current state. Additionally, during the first half of the trip, you would see the planet's past and during the second half, you would see its future, relative to the common rest frame before the trip began. The duration of the trip can be adjusted by
cowmoo32
I think about this every time I look up at the stars and think about the fact that what we're seeing is the sky as it existed X years ago, depending on how far away the star is. So let's say we're traveling toward a planet at near light speed, do you watch it age at a rate relative to the time dilation you are experiencing? I can't help but think it would be like watching a video of a planet sped up.

Physics news on Phys.org
cowmoo32 said:
So let's say we're traveling toward a planet at near light speed, do you watch it age at a rate relative to the time dilation you are experiencing?

If you literally mean "watch" as in "watch through a telescope", what you would see is determined by the relativistic Doppler effect. In terms of frequency:

[tex]f_{observed} = f_{source}\sqrt{\frac{1 + v/c} {1 - v/c}}[/tex]

If you are approaching the planet at v = 0.9c, then

[tex]f_{observed} = 4.36 f_{source}[/tex]

So if you were to watch a clock on the planet, through your telescope, you would see it as running 4.36 times faster than your own clock.

If you were traveling away from the planet at the same speed, you would see that clock as running at a rate 1/4.36 = 0.229 of your own clock.

Exactly what I thought, thanks.

cowmoo32 said:
I think about this every time I look up at the stars and think about the fact that what we're seeing is the sky as it existed X years ago, depending on how far away the star is. So let's say we're traveling toward a planet at near light speed, do you watch it age at a rate relative to the time dilation you are experiencing? I can't help but think it would be like watching a video of a planet sped up.
Yes, it would be like watching a video sped up except that everything would be horribly blue shifted so you couldn't actually see what currently is visible to the naked eye. But you could have some sort of electronic telescope with a monitor that could detect the images and put them in the visible range.

Now as you're traveling toward this planet, presumably orbiting another distant star, at near light speed, you will see it age as it existed X years ago up to the present time during the first half of your trip and then during the second half of your trip you will see it age another X years into the future, as defined by the common rest frame between you and the planet before you started your trip. If you go fast enough, you would only age a little bit. Take your pick, however long you want the trip to last, there is a speed that will get you there in that amount of time.

1. What happens to time when approaching a planet at near light speed?

As you approach a planet at a velocity near c (the speed of light), time dilation occurs. This means that time appears to slow down for the observer as compared to someone at rest. This phenomenon is a result of Einstein's theory of relativity and is due to the fact that the closer an object travels to the speed of light, the slower time passes for that object.

2. Will the appearance of the planet change as I approach it at near light speed?

Yes, the appearance of the planet will change as you approach it at near light speed. This is due to the effects of length contraction, another consequence of Einstein's theory of relativity. As an object moves closer to the speed of light, its length in the direction of motion appears to contract from the perspective of an observer at rest. Therefore, the planet will appear shorter in the direction of your approach.

3. How does the planet's mass affect what I see at near light speed?

The planet's mass does not directly affect what you see at near light speed. However, its mass does affect the gravitational pull it exerts on objects around it. This may cause distortions in light and the appearance of the planet due to gravitational lensing, where the path of light is bent by the planet's mass.

4. Can I still see the planet's atmosphere and surface features when approaching at near light speed?

Yes, you will still be able to see the planet's atmosphere and surface features when approaching at near light speed. However, due to the time dilation and length contraction effects, the appearance of these features may be distorted and appear different from what you would see at a slower velocity.

5. Is there a limit to how close I can approach the planet at near light speed?

There is no physical limit to how close you can approach the planet at near light speed. However, as you get closer to the speed of light, the energy required to accelerate further increases exponentially. This means that it becomes increasingly difficult and energy-intensive to approach closer to the speed of light, making it practically impossible to reach c.