You have a 3x3x3 cube, built with 1x1x1 bricks (27 bricks in total).

• Thread starter Werg22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cube
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of building a 3x3x3 cube with 2x1x1 bricks after two diagonally opposite bricks have been removed. The solution is trivial for an odd-dimension cube, but for a 4x4x4 cube or any other order, it is impossible.
Werg22
You have a 3x3x3 cube, built with 1x1x1 bricks (27 bricks in total). You remove two diagonally opposite bricks (long diagonals). Can you build the remaining figure from 2xx1x1 bricks?

Physics news on Phys.org

i'm going to say:
no
the shapes volume is now 25 bricks
this would take 25 1x1x1 bricks
or 12.5 2x1x1 bricks
unless your allowed to have half a 2x1x1 brick, you can't do it?
unless I've missed something

Yeah, this problem becomes trivial if you've got an odd-dimension cube. However, it may still be impossible if it's a 4x4x4 cube, for different reasons, which I think is what the OP was going for. Just have to imply a different meaning of "Long Diagonal"-- that is, instead, you want to remove 2 cubes diagonally opposite on the same "plane" of the cube.

DaveE

Dave is right, I didn't realize the triviality of an odd-order cube :redface:

Still though, like he pointed out, the 4x4x4 case, or any order for that matter, is impossible too. But the solution (at least the one I know) is much harder!

There is a problem in dimension with its first digit. So, i am not guessing answer about this bricks game.

What is the volume of the 3x3x3 cube?

The volume of the cube can be calculated by multiplying the length, width, and height. In this case, the length, width, and height are all 3, so the volume is 3 x 3 x 3 = 27 cubic units.

How many faces does the cube have?

The cube has 6 faces, with each face being a square.

What is the surface area of the cube?

The surface area of the cube can be calculated by finding the area of each face and then adding them together. In this case, the area of each face is 3 x 3 = 9 square units, so the total surface area is 6 x 9 = 54 square units.

How many different ways can the cube be assembled?

Since the cube is made of 27 bricks, each with a unique position, there are a total of 27! (27 factorial) ways the cube can be assembled. This is equivalent to approximately 10.2 trillion possible combinations.

What is the mass of the cube?

The mass of the cube will vary depending on the material the bricks are made of. Assuming each brick weighs 1 unit, the total mass of the cube would be 27 units.