You have a 3x3x3 cube, built with 1x1x1 bricks (27 bricks in total).

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Werg22
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cube
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Werg22
Messages
1,431
Reaction score
1
You have a 3x3x3 cube, built with 1x1x1 bricks (27 bricks in total). You remove two diagonally opposite bricks (long diagonals). Can you build the remaining figure from 2xx1x1 bricks?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org


i'm going to say:
no
the shapes volume is now 25 bricks
this would take 25 1x1x1 bricks
or 12.5 2x1x1 bricks
unless your allowed to have half a 2x1x1 brick, you can't do it?
unless I've missed something
 


Yeah, this problem becomes trivial if you've got an odd-dimension cube. However, it may still be impossible if it's a 4x4x4 cube, for different reasons, which I think is what the OP was going for. Just have to imply a different meaning of "Long Diagonal"-- that is, instead, you want to remove 2 cubes diagonally opposite on the same "plane" of the cube.

DaveE
 


Dave is right, I didn't realize the triviality of an odd-order cube :redface:

Still though, like he pointed out, the 4x4x4 case, or any order for that matter, is impossible too. But the solution (at least the one I know) is much harder!
 


There is a problem in dimension with its first digit. So, i am not guessing answer about this bricks game.