Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

You'd wish the bills were as compact as the iPhone

1. Aug 12, 2007 #1
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070811-iphone-bill-is-surprisingly-xbox-huge-lol.html

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2007 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The most innovative "gadget" connected to the nations slowest network too, the Edge network has average speeds of 70-80 kbps with a peak of 144 Kbps. :bugeye: :rofl: Verizon and Sprint average 500-800 Kbps with a peak around 3.1 Mbps. You've got to wonder how much AT&T paid Apple for them to make that kind of mistake.

I love Conan O'Brians take on the iPhone. :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  4. Aug 12, 2007 #3
    :rofl: 10char

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Aug 13, 2007 #4
    Environmentalist must be freaking out about this. 52 pages, all of my bills and my bank statements for a year come close to this number. Well on the bright side the US postal service will be making big bucks off of AT&T in mailing cost. *Bam* Honey the new book of the month club book arrived, oh never mind it is just the cell phone bill.

6. Aug 13, 2007 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

A friend of ours already returned hers. She had horrible reception (couldn't get a signal in her own house). She also found out that the battery has to be replaced by an Apple rep because they decided that it needed to be soldered in.

Just when I start to have an inkling of respect for Apple, they do crap like this. Don't even get me started on their new version of DRM for their ITunes.

7. Aug 13, 2007 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's probably because it's on the crappy AT&T network. It would be hard to tell if the problem was the phone or the network when they don't offer it with any other provider, and it seems like a really stupid move to debut it on such a lousy network that certainly will give the impression the phone is a piece of crap, even if it might not be.

8. Aug 14, 2007 #7
    Haha, I don't know of a single person with AT&T. Everyone has Verizon or Tmobile. I guess there are a few people with Sprint.

9. Aug 14, 2007 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

PAPER bills?

10. Aug 14, 2007 #9

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I wanted to get the iPhone, but once I saw AT&T, I was like... nevermind.

Apple is doing a lot of stupid stuff lately. I'm losing lots of interest.

11. Aug 14, 2007 #10

Gib Z

Homework Helper

We don't even have the iPhone is australia :( Stop complaining !!! They are for reception!! theyre a super cool multimedia device that changes screen ratio when it senses which way its held! OMG!!

12. Aug 14, 2007 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Rather ironic, huh? Maybe they're trying to encourage all their customers to switch to electronic billing. :rofl: I'm not sure if corporate account holders would need to have a paper trail or not, but for everyone else, there's no reason not to immediately switch to electronic billing. Then again, I'm not sure scrolling through that many pages of details is any better than flipping through them. :bugeye:

13. Aug 14, 2007 #12

Evo

With electronic billing you can select which pages you want to print if you need a paper print out.

14. Aug 14, 2007 #13
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  15. Aug 14, 2007 #14
    Not even cheap imitation? :biggrin:

16. Aug 14, 2007 #15
    I dont know why they picked ATT for a service provider, but just give it time and everyone will carry them. Personally, I cant wait to see the next generation Iphone. Its going to be like an old ipod and an ipod nano. Night and day difference. Id like to see the phone be a little bit smaller, right now I find it to be too wide due to the screen.

[​IMG]

If they can shrink it down to the size of a normal cell phone, and work with verizon Id buy one just because it can do so much more than a phone.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  17. Aug 14, 2007 #16

Evo

Apple signed an exclusive 5 year deal with AT&T. :eek:

18. Aug 14, 2007 #17
    Well, by the time the contract expires the next generation Iphone will come out so its not really that big of a deal I suppose. Although I like the Iphone, I would not buy it as it is (Too big for my taste).

19. Aug 14, 2007 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree on that. Right now, it wouldn't matter who the carrier was, I wouldn't want one because it looks really awkwardly sized for using as a phone. I guess if you're already used to a clunky crackberry, you might prefer the size of the iPhone, but then you'd notice the issues with network speed, so it seems a no-win situation. What sort of sales have they had with this thing? Is it just the spoiled-rich-kids-who-have-to-have-every-shiny-new-gadget-even-if-they-have-no-use-for-it market?

20. Aug 14, 2007 #19

ShawnD

Science Advisor

That was a huge mistake. In 5 years time, Microsoft will have already stolen the idea, and successfuly exploited it with multiple phone companies.

edit: they won't need to steal it since smart phones are an old idea. Didn't the Moto Q come out a few years ago?

21. Aug 14, 2007 #20

Evo

There are many phones that have similar and in some cases better features, they just don't have the iPod. Unless you specifically want youre iPod to make phone calls, I don't see the point.

Who buys a high tech, over-priced computer that has to connect via dial-up? That has it's battery soldered into the phone so that you have to mail the entire phone in just to get the battery replaced?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?