Young's Inequality alternative proof

In summary, Young's Inequality states that s^(x)t^(1-x)<=xs + (1-x)t where s,t>=0 and 0<x<1. To prove it, the conversation suggests using the function f(x)=ax + 1 - x - a^x and analyzing its properties. For a > 1, it can be shown that the inequality holds. For a < 1, it can be shown that the inequality holds by showing that 1 - 1/a < ln(a). This can be verified by looking up the property and checking for any mistakes.
grabthat123
Young's Inequality can be restated as:

s^(x)t^(1-x)<=xs + (1-x)t where s,t>=0 and 0<x<1.

Basically I've been asked to prove this. I've been fiddling about with it for a couple of hours
to no avail.

I've tried to substitute t=e^u and s=e^v and then use partial differentiation w.r.t to v on st, but I'm not getting the required form. (I can't assume that exp is a convex function - otherwise it follows trivially)

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how to prove it yet, but my 2 cents would be:
[tex](\frac{s}{t})^x t \leq sx + (1-x)t[/tex]
[tex](\frac{s}{t})^x \leq \frac{s}{t} x + 1-x [/tex]
[tex] a^x \leq a x + 1 - x [/tex]
for [itex]a > 0 [/itex]
This way, you have one variable less to worry about

Actually, think about it, consider the function
[tex] f(x)=ax + 1 - x - a^x [/tex]
[tex] f(0)=1-1=0 [/tex]
[tex] f(1) = a + 1 - 1 - a = 0 [/tex]
[tex] f'(x_0)= a - 1 - \ln a a^{x_0} = 0 [/tex]
[tex] a^{x_0} = \frac{a - 1}{\ln a} [/tex]
Now assume [itex]a>1[/itex]. Then if you can show that the rhs is smaller than a, you have shown that [itex] 0 < x_0 < 1 [/itex]. so
[tex] a-1 < \ln a a [/tex]
[tex] 1 - \frac{1}{a} < \ln a [/tex]
I think you can find this property somewhere.
[tex] f''(x)=- (\ln a) ^2 a^{x}[/tex] which is smaller than 0 everywhere, particularly at [itex]x_0[/itex].
So for a > 1 you have already proven everything. For a < 1, you have to show that the rhs is larger than a. Let [itex] a = 1/b [/itex] with [itex] b > 1 [/itex].
[tex] \frac{\frac{1}{b}-1}{\ln \frac{1}{b}} > \frac{1}{b} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{\frac{1}{b}-1}{-\ln b} > \frac{1}{b} [/tex]
[tex] 1 - b < \ln b [/tex]
since b > 1, this should hold trivially.
Anyhow, it all comes down to [itex] 1 - \frac{1}{a} < \ln a [/itex]. You should look it up (and make sure I haven't made any mistakes) lol

[tex] f(a)=\ln a a +1 - a \geq 0[/tex]
For [itex] a = 1 [/itex] you have f(1)=0, so it's correct.
[tex] f'(a)= \frac{a}{a} + \ln a - 1 = \ln a [/tex]
which is always greater than 0, so you have a monotonically growing function.

What is Young's Inequality alternative proof?

Young's Inequality alternative proof is a mathematical proof that shows the relationship between two sets of numbers, known as Young's Inequality. It is often used in analysis to establish inequalities between different functions.

Why is Young's Inequality important?

Young's Inequality is important because it provides a powerful tool for proving inequalities between functions in various mathematical contexts. It also has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

How does Young's Inequality alternative proof differ from the original proof?

The original proof of Young's Inequality is based on the Hölder's inequality, while the alternative proof is based on a different approach using convexity and concavity of functions. The alternative proof is often considered more elegant and intuitive.

What are the key steps in Young's Inequality alternative proof?

The key steps in the alternative proof of Young's Inequality are defining a convex and a concave function, finding the point where they intersect, and using the properties of convex and concave functions to establish the desired inequality between the functions.

Can Young's Inequality alternative proof be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, Young's Inequality alternative proof can be extended to higher dimensions, where multiple functions are involved. This is known as the vector-valued Young's Inequality and it has many applications in multivariable calculus and optimization problems.