1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Young's Modulus / Force per Area Ques.

1. Oct 5, 2009 #1
    Hello,

My question in this. If you have a system where two rods (different moduli of elasticity and different cross sectional areas, but equal in length) are compressed uniformally by a load, how do you calculate the compressive deformation in the rods. The compression of both will be identical, and I understand how to calculate the compression if only one of the two rods was present. But how does having another rod with a different elastic modulus and cross sectional area affect the system. I understand that the compression in the two rod system should be less than the compression of just the single rod system. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2009 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi vhariharan, welcome to PF. It would be a good idea to write the equation connecting stress and strain for each beam. What can you say about the strains? Can you relate the stresses (in conjunction with the cross-sectional areas) to the total external load?

4. Oct 5, 2009 #3
    I have the equations relating stress, strain, and the modulus of elasticity, and I understand that the strain in each rod is equal. But how would you relate the stress in each rod to the total external load?

5. Oct 5, 2009 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What's the relationship between stress and force?

6. Oct 5, 2009 #5
    force=stress*cross sectional area, but how do you relate the stress in each of the rods to the total force applied? Is it just the sum of the stress*cross sectional area of both rods? But then we have two unknowns again (the stress in each of the rods)

7. Oct 5, 2009 #6
    Got it....Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook