1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Z-transform for a signal with an unknown sampling rate

1. Mar 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given a ramp function x(t) = t*heaviside(t) with the known z-transform ( z / (z-1)^2 ).
    If the time-domain signal has been delayed by 2 seconds, then sampled with an unknown sampling rate (T). How could I get the z-transform (one-sided) for the discrete signal, for any values of T ?
    I guess my question is really how to express that delay in the Z-domain. I have searched a lot and couldn't find any good resources.

2. Relevant equations
    original signal : x(t) = t*heaviside(t) - X(z) = z / (z-1)^2
    delayed signal: x(t) = (t-2)*heaviside(t-2) - X(z) = ?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have been trying a lot with this problem. The last (and seemingly to me) the closest I've got is :
    X(z) = T*( z / (z-1)^2 )*(z^-s)
    where :
    s = 2/T if T < 1
    s = 2*T if 1<= T < 2
    s = T if T >= 2
    Of course, if s turns out to be a non-integer value, the solution would be wrong.

Any help on that is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    MT

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2010 #2
    Another take :
    X(z) = T*( z / (z-1)^2 )*(z^-ceil(s))
    where :
    s = 2/T if T <= 1
    s = T if T > 1

Seems right to me, but is the equation is in an acceptable/correct mathematical form ??

4. Mar 5, 2010 #3
    Uh ! I'm sorry, the conditions I wrote are again wrong, here's my final approach :
    X(z) = T*( z / (z-1)^2 )*(z^-ceil(2/T))

Again, it seems to me that it's functionally correct, although I'm not sure if it's syntactically correct too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook