Understanding the Chain Rule in Multivariable Calculus

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the chain rule in solving for the partial derivative of z with respect to x and t, where z = x^y + x and x = sqrt(s+t) and y = ts^2. The correct approach is demonstrated, and it is advised to use Latex for better understanding. The final answer should have substituted the values for x and y, and also use ln x instead of ln y. The speaker expresses gratitude and wishes the best for everyone.
Physics345
Moved from a technical forum
Homework Statement
Question: FIND ##\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}, \frac{\partial z}{\partial t}##

Given

##z= x^{y}##

##x =\sqrt{s+t}##

##y=ts^{2}##
Relevant Equations
##\frac{\partial z}{\partial t} =\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}##
Solution:
##\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} = yx^{y -1}+1##

##\frac{\partial z}{\partial t} =\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}##
##\frac{\partial z}{\partial t} = (\frac{yx^{y-1} + 1}{2\sqrt{s+t}}) + x^{y}\ln{(y)}s^{2}##

This is my first time doing the chain rule and my professor doesn't give us the answers for questions. So I'm here to ask you guys if I did this correct. I'm very confused was I supposed to input the values given after completion or not?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Physics345 said:
Question: dz/dx, dz/dt where z = x^y + x x =sqrt(s+t) y=ts^2

dz/dx = yx^y + 1

dz/dt = dz/dx * dx/dt + dz/dy * dy/dt

dz/dt = (yx^(y-1) + 1)*(1/(2sqrt(s+t)) + ((x^y)ln(y))*(s^2)

= yx^(y-1)/(2sqrt(s+t)) +2sqrt(s+t) + ln(y)*(sx^y)

This is my first time doing the chain rule and my professor doesn't give us the answers for questions. So I'm here to ask you guys if I did this correct. I'm very confused was I supposed to input the values given after completion or not?

Thanks

You should learn a bit of Latex:

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/
I find it almost impossible to parse what you've written but you have the right idea.​

Likes Physics345
PeroK said:
You should learn a bit of Latex:

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/
I find it almost impossible to parse what you've written but you have the right idea.​
Thanks, I have bookmarked it. Give me a moment to apply the latex.

Likes CivilSigma and PeroK
Physics345 said:
Question: dz/dx, dz/dt where z = x^y + x x =sqrt(s+t) y=ts^2

dz/dx = yx^y + 1

dz/dt = dz/dx * dx/dt + dz/dy * dy/dt

dz/dt = (yx^(y-1) + 1)*(1/(2sqrt(s+t)) + ((x^y)ln(y))*(s^2)

= yx^(y-1)/(2sqrt(s+t)) +2sqrt(s+t) + ln(y)*(sx^y)

Thanks

To give you start with Latex:

##\frac{\partial z}{\partial t} = (yx^{y-1} + 1)(\frac{1}{2\sqrt{s+t}}) + \dots##

If you reply to this, you can pick up my Latex to edit or cut and paste.

Likes CivilSigma and Physics345
PeroK said:
To give you start with Latex:

##\frac{\partial z}{\partial t} = (yx^{y-1} + 1)(\frac{1}{2\sqrt{s+t}}) + \dots##

If you reply to this, you can pick up my Latex to edit or cut and paste.
Done thanks a lot.

Physics345 said:
Done thanks a lot.

For your final answer, you should replace ##x, y## with the relevant functions of ##s, t##. Also, you have ##\ln y## instead of ##\ln x##.

You've definitely got the right approach.

Likes Physics345
Physics345 said:
Solution:
##\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} = yx^{y -1}+1##
That doesn't look right to me.

Where does the 1 come from and why are you adding it?

Last edited:
Likes Physics345 and Delta2
SammyS said:
That doesn't look right to me.

Where does the 1 come from and why are you adding it?
Oh, I just realized that. I must have added it as I was applying the latex.

PeroK said:
For your final answer, you should replace ##x, y## with the relevant functions of ##s, t##. Also, you have ##\ln y## instead of ##\ln x##.

You've definitely got the right approach.
Another typo. I wish I saw your message earlier. I had my exam today and did not substitute the values.

Either way, the concept was simple. I will come back again when I'm confused.

Thanks, Everyone & Best Wishes,

Physics345

1. What is the chain rule in Calculus 3?

The chain rule in Calculus 3 is a rule that allows you to find the derivative of a composite function. It is used when the function you are trying to differentiate is made up of two or more functions.

2. How do I apply the chain rule in Calculus 3?

To apply the chain rule in Calculus 3, you first need to identify the inner and outer functions of the composite function. Then, you take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function, using the chain rule formula.

3. What are some common mistakes made when using the chain rule in Calculus 3?

Some common mistakes made when using the chain rule in Calculus 3 include forgetting to apply the chain rule formula, not identifying the inner and outer functions correctly, and making algebraic errors when simplifying the final answer.

4. How can I avoid confusion when using the chain rule in Calculus 3?

To avoid confusion when using the chain rule in Calculus 3, it is important to practice and understand the concept thoroughly. Make sure to identify the inner and outer functions correctly, and carefully apply the chain rule formula step by step. It may also be helpful to double check your work and simplify the final answer.

5. What are some real-life applications of the chain rule in Calculus 3?

The chain rule in Calculus 3 has many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to calculate rates of change in complex systems, such as the acceleration of a moving object or the growth rate of a population. It is also used in optimization problems, where finding the maximum or minimum value of a function is necessary.