Zero Acceleration in Running and in a Car

In summary, the consumption of energy while running with a constant velocity is due to both vertical and horizontal movement of the body, as well as air resistance. Similarly, when driving a car at a constant velocity, energy is consumed through overcoming wind resistance and other sources of friction, as well as the energy required to accelerate the car's mass. This energy is usually lost as heat when slowing down.
gamz95
1) While running with a constant velocity ; how do we consume energy? : Only due to vertical movement of our bodies, right?

2) When driving a car in a constant velocity; how this car could consume energy? It does not move upright-downright (in a very straight road).

Physics news on Phys.org
1) If you ignore all of the bodily operations that make your body work, you are consuming energy by muscle contractions. You consume energy by horizontal movement too, you have to push on the Earth in the opposite direction as your motion. As a result of Newtons 3rd law, the Earth pushes you forward.

2) Whenever a car is moving it has to overcome fluid friction (wind resistance).

I think you are thinking of the work-potential energy concept. Where you only do work in vertical motion by changing your potential energy.

Likes gamz95
Thank you very much for your reply 462.

1) Do I push myself into the earth; or the Earth pushes me??

2) I understand. There wouldn't be a case that wind is in the direction of a car, right; so that car's velocity increases?

Likes anorlunda
gamz95 said:
1) Do I push myself into the earth; or the Earth pushes me??

Both. There is a force pair between yourself and the Earth. However hard you press down on the Earth, the Earth pushes up against you.

gamz95 said:
2) I understand. There wouldn't be a case that wind is in the direction of a car, right; so that car's velocity increases?

A tailwind would certainly help the car's fuel efficiency, but there's still other sources of friction that will rob the car of energy, such as in the engine, axles, etc. And unless you're going very slow it is very, very unlikely that the tailwind is as fast as the car, so you'll usually still be encountering wind resistance.

Likes gamz95
Thank you very much people. Thank you!

There are lots of reasons humans consume energy when running. Even air resistance has an effect. It's why records only count if the wind is below a certain speed.

When running your legs behave a bit like springs that store and release energy - however the process isn't very efficient. When disabled athletes started using carbon fibre running blades there was some concern that the blades would be more efficient and make running easier/faster that it is for able bodied athletes. More on that here.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanics_of_Oscar_Pistorius'_running_blades

In addition to air resistance, cars have lots of moving parts that rub against each other loosing energy to friction. For example pistons in the engine, gears in the transmission etc. Energy is also required to accelerate the mass of the car. That energy is usually lost as heat in the brakes when slowing down.

Likes gamz95

What is zero acceleration?

Zero acceleration is a state in which an object's velocity does not change. This means that the object is either at rest or is moving at a constant speed in a straight line.

How is zero acceleration achieved in running?

Zero acceleration in running is achieved when the runner maintains a constant speed. This means that they are neither accelerating or decelerating, but rather moving at a steady pace.

How is zero acceleration achieved in a car?

In a car, zero acceleration can be achieved by maintaining a constant speed on a level surface. This means that the car is neither accelerating or decelerating, but moving at a steady pace.

What are some factors that can affect zero acceleration in running and in a car?

Factors that can affect zero acceleration in running and in a car include friction, air resistance, and the presence of external forces such as gravity or wind. These factors can cause a change in velocity, resulting in either acceleration or deceleration.

Why is zero acceleration important in both running and driving?

Zero acceleration is important in both running and driving because it allows for a smooth and steady movement. It also ensures that the object is not wasting energy by constantly accelerating and decelerating, and allows for efficient use of fuel in the case of a car.