Zero divisors: continuous functions over R

In summary, a zero divisor in the context of continuous functions over R is a non-zero function f(x) such that there exists a non-zero function g(x) where the product of f(x) and g(x) equals zero for all values of x in the domain. To identify if a function is a zero divisor, you can check if there exists a non-zero function g(x) such that the product of f(x) and g(x) is equal to zero for all values of x in the domain. Not all continuous functions over R are zero divisors, and they have significance in abstract algebra and ring theory. A continuous function over R can have more than one zero divisor.
teleport
Does the ring of continuous functions over the real numbers have no zero divisors? If no 0 divisor, how can I prove it? Else, what is a counter example?

Physics news on Phys.org
you should be able to define two nonzero continuous functions whose product is zero function...

Wow, yea probably. I want to find easy ones. Give me until tomorrow. I'm dead tired. Thanks

Keep in mind if a function is defined piecewise such that each piece is continuous, and all the endpoints match up, you've defined a new continuous function

1. What is a zero divisor in the context of continuous functions over R?

A zero divisor in this context is a non-zero function f(x) such that there exists a non-zero function g(x) where the product of f(x) and g(x) equals zero for all values of x in the domain.

2. How can I identify zero divisors in a continuous function over R?

To identify if a function is a zero divisor, you can check if there exists a non-zero function g(x) such that the product of f(x) and g(x) is equal to zero for all values of x in the domain. If such a function exists, then f(x) is a zero divisor.

3. Are all continuous functions over R zero divisors?

No, not all continuous functions over R are zero divisors. For example, the function f(x) = 1 is not a zero divisor because there does not exist a non-zero function g(x) where the product of f(x) and g(x) is equal to zero for all values of x in the domain.

4. What is the significance of zero divisors in continuous functions over R?

Zero divisors have significance in abstract algebra and ring theory. They play a crucial role in understanding the properties and structure of rings, and can also be used to prove theorems and solve problems related to rings and fields.

5. Can a continuous function over R have more than one zero divisor?

Yes, a continuous function over R can have more than one zero divisor. For example, the function f(x) = x^2 has two zero divisors: g1(x) = x and g2(x) = -x. Both g1(x) and g2(x) are non-zero functions, and their product with f(x) equals zero for all values of x in the domain.