ZIL Screws You: Russian Heavy-Duty Transport Vehicles

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
Engineering news on Phys.org
That is pretty cool. I have never seen that. I wonder just how many drawbacks there were to that system. The video showed that lateral sliding could definitely be an issue. Probably not so good on hard surfaces either. Still. It was pretty neat.
 
FredGarvin said:
That is pretty cool. I have never seen that. I wonder just how many drawbacks there were to that system. The video showed that lateral sliding could definitely be an issue.

In what way? If you mean that it can happen, that's a feature! Or did you mean slip on hilllsides?

The short segment that I saw about the US program indicated that it was canceled due to maintenance issues.
 
Last edited:
Hillsides. It looked in one segment there that a cross slope could prove to be a problem. Then again, like you said, perhaps they wanted it to do that. It looked to me like it slipped down the slope suddenly.
 
FredGarvin said:
Hillsides. It looked in one segment there that a cross slope could prove to be a problem. Then again, like you said, perhaps they wanted it to do that. It looked to me like it slipped down the slope suddenly.

In the clip that I saw on TV, the one that we made was shown driving sideways as well as forwards and backwards.