ZnO nanoparticles do not sediment properly in centrifuge?

• Thread starter goggles31
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Centrifuge
In summary, the conversation discusses the separation of nanoparticles by centrifugation and the potential issues with using a poor solvent. The speaker also mentions the possibility of electrostatic problems and suggests considering the other compounds present in the sample.
goggles31
I centrifuged my sample at 9000 rpm for 30 minutes. There is a layer of sediment on the wall but if i tilt the centrifuge it comes off the wall.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
For starters:
What is the viscosity of the liquid? And what liquid is in the tube?

... assuming they truly are nanoparticles - because people have been misusing that word a lot.
There can be electrostatic problems for example.

Someone here may know the standard procedure for this separation.

can you give me the name of liquid?

Are you trying to precipitate your nanoparticles by injecting a poorer solvent? If that's the case, there could be a few reasons why this is not working. If the particles are too small, then even if they are in a poor solvent they may not precipitate. If the solvent is not bad enough, that will also cause this. In my experience, loose precipitate generally means that there is other "stuff" in there that is keeping the particles from forming a tighter pellet. Think about what other compounds there are and how they will interact with the solvent(s).

1. What are ZnO nanoparticles?

ZnO nanoparticles are tiny particles of zinc oxide that have a diameter of less than 100 nanometers. They are used in a variety of applications such as sunscreens, cosmetics, and electronic devices.

2. Why do ZnO nanoparticles not sediment properly in a centrifuge?

ZnO nanoparticles have a high surface area to volume ratio, which makes them susceptible to agglomeration. This means that they tend to clump together, making it difficult for them to settle properly in a centrifuge. Additionally, their small size and low density can cause them to float instead of sedimenting.

3. Can the sedimentation issue of ZnO nanoparticles be solved?

Yes, there are various methods that can be used to improve the sedimentation of ZnO nanoparticles in a centrifuge. These include using a higher centrifugal force, adding a surfactant to prevent agglomeration, or using a different type of centrifuge that is better suited for nanoparticles.

4. How does improper sedimentation affect the properties of ZnO nanoparticles?

Improper sedimentation can lead to inaccurate measurements and result in inconsistent properties of ZnO nanoparticles. It can also affect the overall quality and performance of products that use these nanoparticles.

5. Are there any safety concerns associated with ZnO nanoparticles?

There have been some concerns raised about the potential toxicity of ZnO nanoparticles, particularly when inhaled or ingested. However, more research is needed to fully understand their effects on human health and the environment.