Calculating G Force of Golf Swing: Markus' Question

• Thread starter Markus78
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, Markus is trying to calculate the amount of G force generated from a golfswing using the formula a = w^2 *r with an angular velocity of 26 rad/sec. However, there may be an error in the calculation as the resulting value of 16G seems high. Another person suggests that the value of 26rad/sec may be accurate, and that an experiment with a spring scale and weight can confirm the numbers. The conversation also discusses the consistency of the numbers and the difference between feeling G force as an acceleration versus a force.
Markus78
Hello,

Im trying to calculate the amount of G force generated from a golfswing for example. Let's say the swing is carried out with an acceleration of 26rad/sec, and that it is perfectly circular ;)

Im using formula a = w^2 *r; If my armls add 40cm and I want to know the G force 6cm below my grip...

a = 26^2 * 0.23 = about 155, divided into 9.82 meters/sec = 16G ,

That sounds a bit high to me so I would like to know if I am doing something wrong here...

Br
/Markus

Physics news on Phys.org
From what you have given, the only thing I see wrong is that you used your arm distance plus 6 cm as a diameter and not a radius. I assume that you are considering your shoulder as the center of the circle.

Your angular velocity (not acceleration) of 26 rad/sec is moving pretty quickly. It's almost 250 rpm.

Aa that's right, so the correct value should be more something like 26^2*0.46 then... that's more like 30G,

I got the value 26rad/sec from some golfing website, it might be wrong, but the pro's can reach a speed of 100mph at the tip of the club, not sure how to convert that into rad/sec though.

/Markus

It wouldn't be to tough to do an experiment to see how good your numbers are. A spring scale and a weight to mimic the club would do it.

30 G sounds a bit high, but not totally unreasonable.

100 mph = 160 km/h = 160*1000/3600 m/s = 45 m/s

Angular velocity = v/r where r is the total radius (length of arm + club). From the size of a normal person, r must be a bit less than 2m, say 1.8m

Angular velocity = 45/1.8 = 25 rad/sec.

So your numbers seem consistent.

The golfer doesn't actually feel the "G" value as an acceleration, he/she only feels the force. An acceleration of 30G on a 1Kg object gives a force of 30 Kgf. (I'm not a golfer but 1 Kg sounds too much for the mass of a golf club). A fit person can easily lift his/her body weight with his/her arms, so a 30 Kgf force seems quite reasonable.

What is the formula for calculating G force of a golf swing?

The formula for calculating G force of a golf swing is: G = (V^2 x M) / R, where G is the G force, V is the velocity of the swing, M is the mass of the club and golfer, and R is the radius of the swing.

How do I measure the velocity of my golf swing?

The velocity of a golf swing can be measured using a launch monitor, which uses sensors to track the speed of the clubhead during the swing. You can also estimate the velocity by measuring the distance the ball travels and using the formula V = d/t, where V is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

Can G force of a golf swing be harmful to the body?

Yes, G force can potentially be harmful to the body if it exceeds the body's ability to withstand it. Excessive G force can cause injuries to the muscles, joints, and ligaments, as well as strain on the heart and blood vessels. It is important to properly warm up and use proper technique to minimize the risk of injury.

How does the weight of the club affect the G force of a golf swing?

The weight of the club has a direct impact on the G force of a golf swing. A heavier club will require more force to swing, resulting in a higher G force. This can also lead to a slower swing speed, which can affect the distance and accuracy of the shot. Using a club that is properly fitted for your swing can help optimize the G force and improve your performance.

Is there a way to increase the G force of my golf swing?

Yes, there are several ways to increase the G force of your golf swing. Improving your strength and flexibility through regular exercise can help you generate more force in your swing. You can also work on your technique and use equipment that is properly fitted for your swing to increase the efficiency of your swing and generate more G force. However, it is important to note that excessive G force can also lead to injury, so it is important to train and swing within your physical limits.