Electricity from Water: How Does It Work?

In summary: This water-powered clock or calculator has a patented fuel cell technology that harnesses the energy of water molecules to provide a futuristic stream of pollution-free electrical current. Just pull out the two tiny reservoir tubes from underneath the clock's sleek arch, fill them from your tap, and amazingly! you'll have enough power for two months of operation. After a few weeks, it stops working, so you change the potatoes and it works again. Of course, this is just dehydration of the potatoes, but fraudsters will tell you it's because the potatoes are the power source.
chound
I have this clock which if u fill with water will start working! How dus it work

Engineering news on Phys.org
More details please.

This has more details:
http://www.realgoods.com/shop/shop3.cfm/dp/302/ts/4170301

• Water-Powered Clock or Calculator
    You won't ever have to buy any batteries or plug in any cords to use this LCD clock or calculator. Both work using nothing more than ordinary water. The secret is a patented revolution in fuel cell technology that harnesses the energy of water molecules to provide a futuristic stream of pollution-free electrical current. Just pull out the two tiny reservoir tubes from underneath the clock's sleek arch, fill them from your tap, and amazingly! you'll have enough power for two months of operation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very amusing. New to me. If anyone has more details I'd be interested in the particulars.

I had one of these once, though it used potatoes instead of water.

The water isn't the source of the power. The electricity is being produced by the difference in electrode potentials of the anode and the cathode which are inserted into the water (or potato). It's just a battery, it looks a little bit different, but the clock draws a very small amount of current anyway.

brewnog said:
The water isn't the source of the power. The electricity is being produced by the difference in electrode potentials of the anode and the cathode which are inserted into the water (or potato). It's just a battery, it looks a little bit different, but the clock draws a very small amount of current anyway.
So its powered by a dissolving hunk of zinc? That was my guess too...

What happens when that is gone?

Takes a while. My Potato Clock had (zinc and copper? maybe?) electrodes, they were probably about 4 grams each, and the only noticable change I could see was some slight surface corrosion on the zinc. I ran it for about a year before I got bored and took it to bits...

After a few weeks, it stops working, so you change the potatoes and it works again. Of course, this is just dehydration of the potatoes, but fraudsters will tell you it's because the potatoes are the power source.

1. How does electricity from water work?

Electricity from water, also known as hydroelectricity, works by harnessing the energy of flowing water to spin a turbine, which in turn powers a generator to produce electricity. This process is called hydroelectric power generation.

2. What is the source of the electricity produced by water?

The source of the electricity produced by water is the kinetic energy of flowing water. This energy is a result of the gravitational pull of water as it flows from a higher to lower elevation.

3. What are the components involved in producing electricity from water?

The main components involved in producing electricity from water are a dam or reservoir, a turbine, and a generator. The dam or reservoir controls the flow of water, the turbine converts the kinetic energy of the water into mechanical energy, and the generator converts this mechanical energy into electricity.

4. Is electricity from water a renewable source of energy?

Yes, electricity from water is considered a renewable source of energy. This is because the water used in hydroelectricity is constantly replenished by the water cycle, making it a sustainable and environmentally friendly source of energy.

5. What are the advantages of using electricity from water?

There are several advantages of using electricity from water. It is a clean source of energy, meaning it does not produce harmful emissions. It is also reliable and can be easily controlled to meet the demand for electricity. Additionally, hydroelectric power plants have a long lifespan and can also be used for other purposes such as flood control and irrigation.