Does a pump face less back pressure if a vertical pipe is wider?

• Thread starter Ray F
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pump
Ray F
How did you find PF?: google search

I've worked at sea for a number of years and now I'm particularly interested in learning more about fluid dynamics in order to find practical solutions to environmental problems. I would be very grateful for any advice people on this forum can give me.
At the moment I want to pump water up to the roof of a house. My question is this: will a pump that pumps water 10 meters up a vertical pipe of 10 mm Inside Diameter face less back pressure pumping the same water 10 meters up a pipe of 20 mm Inside Diameter? Or is the back pressure the same? Thank you for your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ray F said:
How did you find PF?: google search

I've worked at sea for a number of years and now I'm particularly interested in learning more about fluid dynamics in order to find practical solutions to environmental problems. I would be very grateful for any advice people on this forum can give me.
At the moment I want to pump water up to the roof of a house. My question is this: will a pump that pumps water 10 meters up a vertical pipe of 10 mm Inside Diameter face less back pressure pumping the same water 10 meters up a pipe of 20 mm Inside Diameter? Or is the back pressure the same? Thank you for your help.
At the same flow rate in each case?

It depends upon the flow velocity and perhaps the surface roughness of the pipe. Here is a good simple treatment https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friction_loss
The middle part is excellent, in my opinion. Please ask questions as necessary

Welcome to PF.

Ray F said:
Or is the back pressure the same?
To pump water upwards, you must overcome both the hydrostatic pressure, and the resistance to flow in the pipe.

Hydrostatic pressure is a function of height only, not of diameter.

The added back pressure, due to the resistance to flow, is due to wall friction of the water flowing in the pipe. It will be less for a bigger diameter pipe, but that back pressure will be dependent on the flow rate and the pipe details.

Likes Juanda, Rive, russ_watters and 1 other person
The bigger pipe will put less back pressure on the pump for the same flow.

Joe591 said:
The bigger pipe will put less back pressure on the pump for the same flow.
As demonstrated by the fact that central heating (water) central heating often uses large bore pipes (according to a number of rules of thumb) according to the flow of water they need to take. I quote central heating because the system pressure is usually only a bar. Cold water supplies are straight off the mains and tend to use 15mm pipe throughout. Copper is too expensive for plumbing to be over generous with large bore pipes.

1. How does the width of a vertical pipe affect the back pressure on a pump?

The width of a vertical pipe can affect the back pressure on a pump in two ways. Firstly, a wider pipe will have a larger cross-sectional area, which means that the fluid can flow through it more easily. This results in less resistance and therefore less back pressure on the pump. Secondly, a wider pipe can also allow for a greater volume of fluid to be transported, reducing the need for the pump to work harder and resulting in less back pressure.

2. Is there an optimal width for a vertical pipe to minimize back pressure on a pump?

There is no specific optimal width for a vertical pipe to minimize back pressure on a pump, as it can vary depending on the specific system and conditions. However, in general, a wider pipe will result in less back pressure on the pump as it allows for easier flow and a greater volume of fluid to be transported.

3. How does the length of a vertical pipe affect the back pressure on a pump?

The length of a vertical pipe can also affect the back pressure on a pump. A longer pipe will result in more friction and resistance for the fluid to flow through, which can increase back pressure on the pump. However, this effect may be minimal compared to other factors such as the width of the pipe or the pump's power.

4. Does the type of fluid being pumped affect the back pressure in a vertical pipe?

Yes, the type of fluid being pumped can have an impact on the back pressure in a vertical pipe. Thicker or more viscous fluids will require more energy from the pump to transport through the pipe, resulting in higher back pressure. On the other hand, less viscous fluids will have lower back pressure as they can flow more easily through the pipe.

5. Can the back pressure on a pump be completely eliminated by using a wider vertical pipe?

No, the back pressure on a pump cannot be completely eliminated by using a wider vertical pipe. While a wider pipe can help reduce back pressure, there are other factors such as the pump's power and the type of fluid being pumped that can also affect the back pressure. Additionally, there may be limitations on the size of the pipe that can be used in a particular system. It is important to consider all factors and find a balance for optimal pump performance.