What is the Best Textbook on Ice Ages?

• Thread starter giann_tee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Ice
In summary, people are discussing Imbrie's "Ice Ages" but it looks just a little old. Milankovitch and Climate: Understanding the Response to Astronomical Forcing is a book that is old and may not be up to date. People should read Robinson et al 2005 Amazing if they want to read about the Milankovitch-cycles-trigger-ice-ages hypothesis.
giann_tee
I'm looking for a one single solid textbook about Ice Ages.

People are mentioning Imbrie's "Ice Ages" but it looks just a little old. I'll borrow it soon.

Thanks for your interest.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
It does not exist, such a textbook, that is, a book that has not been overrunned by contradictory evidence. So anything you read of before 2005-2004 is simply superseded by reality. Especially the recent publications about oceanic interactions challenge scholar views deep into the roots. Nobody seems to wonder why there was a global intensification of volcanism during the (last) deglaciation period. Concerning the whereabouts of the Pleistocene ice ages, we have seen nothing yet.

Recommended readings:

http://www.bgc.bris.ac.uk/documents/publications/2004/QUEEN_2004_climate.pdf [Broken]

http://www.maureenraymo.com/2007_Lisiecki+Raymo.pdf [Broken]

Robinson et al 2005

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing.

It become clear to me from reading Milankovitch himself that he had to take into account the arrangement of mass on Earth now and in the past, arrangement of moon and sun in the past along with the solar constant and transparency of atmosphere. Now that becomes just too complicated.

Its a sort of an "insolation theory" given that astronomical motions can be calculated from celestial mechanics and those few numbers to measure.

Basically there should be a match with soil samples.

In 21st century this should be readable and computed in short form with some programming code.

remember that the Milankovitch-cycles-trigger-ice-ages hypothesis is basically just like that. A proposal to explain the glaciation cycles. The Imbrie's thought that they had it proven it, given the limited evidence available. However, Lorraine Lisiecky and Maureen Raymo clearly show the struggle to find the right wrench to hammer in the right screw. And they were certainly not the first. Things get worse if you compare the *soil samples* of the Hubberten paper with the glaciation isotope calendar. In other words if the evidence does not fit, the idea might be wrong.

I expect it to be just fine theory - crude for today's number of parameters but just fine. I don't see why that is a problem.

Besides, if it is "wrong" then it means insolation theory does not equal the result - starting as a cause of ice ages, but adds a component of a summary or factors.

Last 700 000 years at most, and 200 000 for sure is just enough to get through the topic.

I forgot to mention that I'm not working in area of meteorology at all. The field is astronomy actually, so that might turn backwards some "truths" I implied.

:-)

I forgot to mention that I'm not working in area of meteorology at all. The field is astronomy actually, so that might turn backwards some "truths" I implied.

:-)

1. What is the best book for understanding Ice Ages?

The best book for understanding Ice Ages is "Ice Ages: The Story of the Earth's Climate" by John Imbrie and Katherine Palmer Imbrie. It provides a comprehensive overview of the science behind Ice Ages, including the causes, effects, and evidence.

2. Are there any books specifically about the most recent Ice Age?

Yes, "The Last Interglacial: The Final 10,000 Years" by Brian Fagan delves into the most recent Ice Age, known as the Last Glacial Maximum, which occurred approximately 20,000 years ago.

3. Is there a book that explores the impact of Ice Ages on human history?

"Ice Age Civilizations: Exploring the Mysteries of the Ancient World" by Peter N. Peregrine and Melvin Ember examines how Ice Ages have affected human societies throughout history, including the development of agriculture and migration patterns.

4. Can you recommend a book that discusses the current understanding of Ice Ages?

"Ice Ages and Interglacials: Measurements, Interpretation and Models" by Donald Rapp provides a comprehensive overview of the current understanding of Ice Ages, including recent advancements in technology and research.

5. Are there any books that explore the potential future implications of Ice Ages?

One book that discusses the potential future impacts of Ice Ages is "Ice, Mud and Blood: Lessons from Climates Past" by Chris Turney. It examines how past Ice Ages have shaped our planet and what future Ice Ages could mean for humanity.