View Single Post
Nov10-08, 11:10 AM
P: 2,292
Q1: This can be called "lateral vector-shifting", but requires a loss of energy and, as far as I know, can only be done using gyroscopic techniques.
The actual center of mass does not change; it's kind of an illusion, if you will. The gyroscope resists being tilted, so the tilting force must either be absorbed or translated.
In this case, the tilting force is laterally translated to whatever point is holding the gyro end axis(the string)