Circular loop in uniform magnetic field

Trollfaz
Consider a circular loop with uniform current flowing around it in a uniform magnetic field.
Does it experience no translational force due to its symmetry

Physics news on Phys.org
A circular loop with uniform current flowing around it will generate a magnetic field.
What is the orientation of the loop with regard to the external uniform magnetic field.

The force would be given by ##\vec F=\oint I{\vec dr}\times \vec B=0## if I and ##{\vec B}## are constant.
Please help with LateX.

Last edited:
Meir Achuz said:
The force would be given by ##\vec F=\oint I{\vec dr}\times \vec B=0## if I and ##{\vec B}## are constant.
Please help with LateX.
… and therefore, following an integral theorem and using ##\nabla \cdot \vec B = 0## (and assuming I didn't screw up the index calculus due to baby on one arm ... *),
$$
\vec F = \int_S (\nabla \vec B) \cdot d\vec S
$$
where ##S## is a surface bounded by the loop. For a spatially constant magnetic field, the net force therefore becomes zero (due to the derivatives being zero).

Hence, the result of the net force being zero if the magnetic field is spatially constant is independent of any symmetry of the current carrying loop.

* The conclusion remains the same regardless of if the index calculus is correct or not - there will only be derivatives of ##\vec B##, which equal to zero.

Likes Dale and vanhees71
It's easier to clarify using a continuous current density. The cartesian components of the force are given by
$$F_k=\int_{V} \mathrm{d}^3 x \vec{e}_k \cdot (\vec{j} \times \vec{B}) = \int_V \mathrm{d}^3 x \epsilon_{klm} j_l B_m.$$
Here ##V## is a volume which encloses the entire current distribution, i.e., ##\vec{j}=0## outside this volume and along its boundary, ##\partial V##.

Now, because for stationary currents ##\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{j}=\partial_k j_k=0##
$$j_l = \partial_n (x_l j_n)$$
and thus
$$F_k = \int_V \mathrm{d}^3 x \epsilon_{klm} \partial_n (x_l j_n) B_m.$$
Since further ##\partial_n B_m=0## for a homogeneous magnetic field, you have, using Gauss's integral theorem
$$F_k=\int_V \mathrm{d}^3 x \partial_n (\epsilon_{klm} x_l j_n B_m) = \int_{\partial V} \mathrm{d}^2 f_n \epsilon_{klm} x_l j_n B_m=0.$$

It is interesting to see these tricky ways to show that ##\oint\vec dr=\vec 0.##
Since the integral is a vector with no possible direction, it must vanish.

Likes vanhees71
That's a quick but not too obvious argument ;-)).

Meir Achuz said:
It is interesting to see these tricky ways to show that ##\oint\vec dr=\vec 0.##
Since the integral is a vector with no possible direction, it must vanish.
Well, yes … but that makes the generalisation to non-constant fields less obvious.

I’d add that the intuitive way to interpret the integral is the total displacement when following a closed loop around once - hence zero.

Likes vanhees71
Less obvious than what?

vanhees71 said:
That's a quick but not too obvious argument ;-)).
I meant, it's not immediately obvious, what this simple argument has to do with the original problem.

vanhees71 said:
I meant, it's not immediately obvious, what this simple argument has to do with the original problem.
"Does it experience no translational force". I didn't think it was necessary to prove that the integral was zero, but two previous posts had gone to some lengths to prove what was immediately obvious.

Meir Achuz said:
"Does it experience no translational force". I didn't think it was necessary to prove that the integral was zero, but two previous posts had gone to some lengths to prove what was immediately obvious.
Well, that is a half-truth to be honest. The posts you are referring to were both treating the general case of non-constant magnetic field before specializing to the constant field scenario. This is relevant to the OP’s question in the sense of deducing the general conditions under which the total force is zero - constant field being a sufficient condition but gemerally not necessary.

Likes vanhees71

1. How does a circular loop behave in a uniform magnetic field?

A circular loop placed in a uniform magnetic field experiences a torque that causes it to rotate. This rotation is due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the current flowing through the loop.

2. What is the direction of the torque acting on a circular loop in a uniform magnetic field?

The direction of the torque acting on a circular loop in a uniform magnetic field is perpendicular to the plane of the loop and follows the right-hand rule. The torque tends to align the plane of the loop with the magnetic field lines.

3. How can the torque acting on a circular loop be calculated?

The torque acting on a circular loop in a uniform magnetic field can be calculated using the formula: τ = NIABsinθ, where τ is the torque, N is the number of turns in the loop, I is the current flowing through the loop, A is the area of the loop, B is the magnetic field strength, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the loop.

4. What is the effect of increasing the current in a circular loop in a uniform magnetic field?

Increasing the current in a circular loop in a uniform magnetic field increases the torque acting on the loop, causing it to rotate faster. This is because the torque is directly proportional to the current flowing through the loop.

5. How does the area of the circular loop affect its behavior in a uniform magnetic field?

The area of the circular loop affects the magnitude of the torque acting on it. A larger area results in a greater torque, leading to faster rotation of the loop. This is because the torque is directly proportional to the area of the loop.