Register to reply

Unix Shell Script

by Surrealist
Tags: script, shell, unix
Share this thread:
Surrealist
May24-07, 06:40 PM
P: 63
I have never written a shell script, but I am trying to learn. I want to make a generic Unix shell script that will allow me to run four commands in a row... something like this...

latex $filename
bibtex $filename
latex $filename
latex $filename

I would like to call the script "ltxprc.sh".

How would I make this file work for any filename?

For instance, if my file name were "paper", would I run a command like...

sh ltxprc.sh

where do I input the filename?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
D H
May24-07, 06:55 PM
Mentor
P: 15,170
First, you need to modify your script so it accesses the command line arguments sent to the script:

filename=$1

You pass the filename on the command line:

sh ltxprc.sh file.tex

Even better is to make the shell script executable via chmod. You will need to add a "shebang" line to the very front of your script:

#!/bin/sh

When you do that, all you need to say is

ltxprc.sh file.tex
Surrealist
May25-07, 02:26 PM
P: 63
Thanks for the help. That was probably the most useful response I have ever received from a message board.

I gotta ask... why is it that the #!/bin/sh works? I thought that the # symbol meant "comment out" that which follows.

D H
May25-07, 03:09 PM
Mentor
P: 15,170
Unix Shell Script

Quote Quote by Surrealist View Post
I gotta ask... why is it that the #!/bin/sh works? I thought that the # symbol meant "comment out" that which follows.
The # symbol is indeed a comment to the shell. The shell, however, is not what runs runs programs (directly, that is). The exec family of functions are what run programs on a Unix machine. The first thing exec does when asked to run a program is read the first two bytes of the program. When those first two bytes are "#!", exec does something quite special: It uses the line to indicate what program should be executed to run the script file. For example, you used #!/bin/sh . The #! tells exec this is an executable script. The exec invokes /bin/sh to run the script. Now /bin/sh reads lines from the script. Now we get back to your question: the first line is just a comment; /bin/sh does nothing with it.

For more info, see http://homepages.cwi.nl/~aeb/std/hashexclam.html and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shebang_%28Unix%29.

Register to reply