Electromagetic movement of water

by voltronforce
Tags: electromagetic, movement, water
voltronforce
Nov6-07, 10:53 AM
P: 2
Hi.

I was wondering how strong an electromagnet would have to be to move water, such as a low stream from a tap or something..

I searched the forum a bit to the answer to this, and while i did discover that an electromagnetic field of sufficient strength will move water, the strength required was not described.

The reason i ask is because i was thinking of making a modification to one of those tabletop water feature fountains as a gift idea. Is this even possible? Is there a better way? Or should i just go with a voucher or something...

Thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Scientists observe quantum superconductor-metal transition and superconducting glass
New technique detects microscopic diabetes-related eye damage
marcusl
Nov6-07, 10:20 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,020
Quote Quote by voltronforce View Post
Hi.

I was wondering how strong an electromagnet would have to be to move water, such as a low stream from a tap or something..

I searched the forum a bit to the answer to this, and while i did discover that an electromagnetic field of sufficient strength will move water, the strength required was not described.

The reason i ask is because i was thinking of making a modification to one of those tabletop water feature fountains as a gift idea. Is this even possible? Is there a better way? Or should i just go with a voucher or something...

Thanks in advance.
Moving water magnetically just isn"t going to happen. Try to find a different gift :o)
russ_watters
Nov6-07, 10:31 PM
Mentor
P: 21,998
It takes an enormous amount of power. A prototype ship was built using this idea (think: "The Hunt for Red October"). It used massive superconducting electromagnets and was only able to move at 2 mph.

voltronforce
Nov6-07, 11:53 PM
P: 2

Electromagetic movement of water

Cool. Back to the drawing board then.. Thanks for the help guys.
Integral
Nov7-07, 01:33 AM
Mentor
P: 7,291
One possibility would be to induce an electric current through the steam of water, now you may be able to move the water by varying an external magnetic field.

The quesion would be how to induce the current.... safely.
Paulanddiw
Nov7-07, 02:46 AM
P: 96
You put electrodes in the water between the magnet poles. The electrodes have to be perpendicular to the wate flow.

I believe and old microwave oven magnet would work. You may have to put salt in the water to get enought current. I believe on the order of an amp

Register to reply