Resigning from Forum: My Experience with Moderators and Discussion Limits

• Thread starter RGClark
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the moderators' preference for questions over personal ideas in order to maintain the scientific integrity of the forum. They also encourage the use of the scientific method and adherence to forum guidelines. It is suggested to ask relevant questions rather than promoting a theory and to seek explanations for evidence. The conversation also mentions the difficulty of producing new ideas and the potential for overactive imagination to lead to great discoveries when tempered with reality.
RGClark
I am resigning from this forum. I have found the moderators do not wish posters to present their own ideas for discussion. They prefer only if questions are asked so that can impress the readers with their knowledge.

Take Care,

Bob Clark

Physics news on Phys.org
You are 100% right. I can understand what Michael Faraday went through in his day; having to deal with the Ivy Tower Nay-sayers of his day.

Thats also a reason why some people don't get tenure.

The reason overly speculative ideas are not allowed is to preserve the educative nature of the forum. If you do wish to present your own ideas there are independent research forums in which to post. Your ideas have to undergo scrutiny however to maintain and ensure the scientific integrity of the ideas and forums.

I don't think this is unreasonable.

Last edited:
RGClark said:
I have found the moderators do not wish posters to present their own ideas for discussion. They prefer only if questions are asked so that can impress the readers with their knowledge.
False! We simply discourage exotic speculation, misleading information, general silliness and nonsense.

Use of the scientific method and evidentiary process is encouraged. This also means adherence to the forum Guidelines to which every member agrees as a condition for participation.

Take Care :smile:

Bye Bye

Astronuc said:
False! We simply discourage exotic speculation, misleading information, general silliness and nonsense.

Use of the scientific method and evidentiary process is encouraged. This also means adherence to the forum Guidelines to which every member agrees as a condition for participation.

Take Care :smile:

What should us kooks do when we see evidence that leads to exotic speculation?
So far, I've found one thread that has debunked one of my kook theories.
I really appreciate the fact that I no longer have to research something which I thought was a new idea but has actually been around for 80 years or so and was disproven about 40 years ago.
It's such a waste of time having an overactive imagination.

OmCheeto said:
So far, I've found one thread that has debunked one of my kook theories.
I really appreciate the fact that I no longer have to research something which I thought was a new idea but has actually been around for 80 years or so and was disproven about 40 years ago.

You either formulate it in the best possible manner and submit it to the IR forum according to its requirement, or post it elsewhere.

PF just cannot be everything to everyone. It has tried to entertain such a thing before, and it choked our resources because it attracted a lot of crackpots and their grandmothers. The fact that one of our major selling point is our high signal-to-noise ratio means that we have the enviable ability to attract many experts in various area of studies. Many forums just do not have this kind of expertise in their members.

Zz.

OmCheeto said:

Taking a slightly different slant on what Zapper said, we probably have at least one expert here for any subject of science that you might consider. The key is to ask the relevant questions without promoting a theory. For example, we have many people who have no understanding of Einstein's work, but who, nonetheless, have theories that contradict not only Relativity, but also well established facts. In order to come up with their own theory, they almost always ignore the reasons for the existing theory used to explain things. If they would simply ask about the relevant aspects of Relativity theory, they would save themselves a great deal of time and perhaps embarrassment.

It is a big world without many bright minds, and physics has been around for 500 years [depending on how you choose to define things]. It is quite difficult to produce a truly new idea. If you can think of it, then in the extreme it is quite likely that many before you have considered the same idea. It is important to remember this.

The short answer is to ask for an explanation for the evidence. We almost certainly have one.

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
You either formulate it in the best possible manner and submit it to the IR forum according to its requirement, or post it elsewhere.
It seems odd that I should have to write up a thesis when all I want to know is; "Why is this a stupid thought?" that can be answered with a single hyperlink.
PF just cannot be everything to everyone. It has tried to entertain such a thing before, and it choked our resources because it attracted a lot of crackpots and their grandmothers. The fact that one of our major selling point is our high signal-to-noise ratio means that we have the enviable ability to attract many experts in various area of studies. Many forums just do not have this kind of expertise in their members.

Zz.
I guess that's why I'm a contributor.

Ivan Seeking said:
The key is to ask the relevant questions without promoting a theory.
Ok. I'll try that.

I emphasize Ivan's point -
The short answer is to ask for an explanation for the evidence.
Arrange the evidence, then ask - "Does this mean . . . .?"

The problem comes when someone presents a 'theory' that contradicts or ignores the evidence.

While the staff are professional, we do this gratis, i.e. on a volunteer basis, and we simply cannot spend time debunking nonsense. Instead, we invest our time in assisting folks in understanding the mathematics, physics and science in a variety of areas.

New ideas are discussed within the proper context based on a well-established scientific process, and certainly there are many new ideas dicussed among the mainstream.

OmCheeto said:

Wrong! Overactive imaginations have led to most of the world's greatest discoveries (next to plain dumb luck). The trick is to temper your imagination with reality. Certainly look at a goal and think outside of the box if necessary to achieve it, but when your ideas conflict with established fact, back up a couple of steps and approach from a different angle.
And even if you never manage to get a grasp of what you're trying to achieve, you can still channel that imagination into something like writing novels or screenplays. The guidelines there are considerably less stringent, and you might prove to be an inspiration to others. I don't believe in Asimov's 'positronic brain' any more than I believe in putting Cheeze Whiz on a pizza, but he inspired me to seek out scientific facts.

Danger said:
Wrong! Overactive imaginations have led to most of the world's greatest discoveries (next to plain dumb luck). The trick is to temper your imagination with reality. Certainly look at a goal and think outside of the box if necessary to achieve it, but when your ideas conflict with established fact, back up a couple of steps and approach from a different angle.
And even if you never manage to get a grasp of what you're trying to achieve, you can still channel that imagination into something like writing novels or screenplays. The guidelines there are considerably less stringent, and you might prove to be an inspiration to others. I don't believe in Asimov's 'positronic brain' any more than I believe in putting Cheeze Whiz on a pizza, but he inspired me to seek out scientific facts.

Well said Danger!:approve:

G01 said:
Well said Danger!:approve:
Yeah! :approve: :cool:

Stop before I pull a Sally Field here... :cry:

plutoisacomet said:
You are 100% right. I can understand what Michael Faraday went through in his day; having to deal with the Ivy Tower Nay-sayers of his day.

That is the ivory tower and Ivy League schools.

What motivated you to resign from the forum?

I was motivated to resign from the forum due to my negative experiences with moderators and the restrictive discussion limits.

Can you provide specific examples of interactions with moderators that led to your resignation?

Yes, I had multiple instances where I felt that moderators were not treating me or other members fairly and were enforcing rules inconsistently. This created a toxic and unwelcoming environment for discussions.

Did you attempt to address your concerns with the forum moderators before resigning?

Yes, I reached out to the moderators multiple times to express my concerns and offer suggestions for improvement. However, my concerns were dismissed or ignored, leading me to feel like my voice was not valued.

How did the restrictive discussion limits impact your experience on the forum?

The discussion limits greatly hindered meaningful discussions and connections with other members. It felt like our conversations were constantly being cut short and we were not able to fully explore topics or share our thoughts and opinions.

Do you think the forum can improve and prevent resignations like yours in the future?

I believe that with proper communication and a willingness to listen and address concerns from members, the forum can definitely improve and create a more positive and inclusive environment for all. It is important for moderators to be fair and consistent in enforcing rules and to value the voices and contributions of all members.