Register to reply

Basics of neutrinos are they antimatter particles

by p_branes
Tags: antimatter, basics, neutrinos, particles
Share this thread:
p_branes
Apr7-04, 08:41 AM
P: 21
Hi guys just had a question. I know about neutrinos and how they act - their being able to pass through matter leaving it as it was but my question was how are what are the basics of neutrinos are they antimatter particles of some particle? Someone please enlighten me, thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Comb on a chip' powers new atomic clock design
Quantum leap in lasers brightens future for quantum computing
Enhanced NIST instrument enables high-speed chemical imaging of tissues
suyver
Apr7-04, 09:22 AM
P: 265
They are a particle: (almost) no mass, no charge, spin 1/2. No electromagnetic or strong interaction, only weak interaction. Typical strength of the interaction: you'd need about 1000 lightyears of lead to have a 50% probability for an interaction between a neutrino and the lead!

On earth they are generated in large numbers in nuclear beta-decay: a neutron becomes a proton and emits an electron and an anti-neutrino.

The Ultimate Neutrino Page.
p_branes
Apr7-04, 03:37 PM
Thanks Suyver, so they are fermions right? I know its off topic but I used to live in Bern as well!

chroot
Apr7-04, 05:12 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,429
Basics of neutrinos are they antimatter particles

Since they have half-integral spin, they are fermions.

- Warren
selfAdjoint
Apr8-04, 09:35 AM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 8,147
And they have antiparticles called antineutrinos. Since neutrinos have no charge, the only way these differ from the nuetrinos is in spin; they have opposite "helicity." It's actually an anineutrino that carries away energy in the weak decay.
p_branes
Apr8-04, 09:53 AM
Oh ok, so what spin does an anti-neutrino have? -1/2?
suyver
Apr8-04, 09:55 AM
P: 265
No, also 1/2. Negative spins are not possible: only the projection of the spin on a (z) axis can be <0.
p_branes
Apr8-04, 10:02 AM
Oh ok thanks.
kurious
Apr9-04, 03:10 PM
P: 653
Are antineutrinos antimatter - they don't have electric charge like positrons.I understand that usually charge and parity are considered for determining whether a particle is matter or antimatter.But surely an antineutrino can't be likened to a positron if it doesn't have charge.If antineutrinos are not antimatter then this would explain why there is no difference in arrival times between antineutrinos and neutrinos
which originate from supernovae explosions and would mean that antimatter could still possibly fall upwards in a gravitational field.
chroot
Apr9-04, 03:23 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,429
Antineutrinos are definitely antimatter. All particles, even neutral ones, have antiparticles. In some cases however, a particle is its own antiparticle; the photon is this way.

- Warren
LURCH
Apr10-04, 04:21 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,510
Since antineutrinos are antimatter, will they annihilate with neutrinos, producing energy?
swansont
Apr10-04, 08:41 PM
P: 111
Quote Quote by LURCH
Since antineutrinos are antimatter, will they annihilate with neutrinos, producing energy?
They certainly should, but since they interact only via the weak force, their cross-section for interaction would be small.

Register to reply