Writing Academic Resume: Tips & Templates

In summary: If not, don't put your work phone number on there. In summary, when creating a CV for an academic position, it is important to include contact information, but the type of contact information you provide (personal or work) is not as important. You should also consider your personal comfort level with providing certain details, such as a work phone number, as it may impact your ability to speak freely during a phone call with a potential employer. Additionally, it is recommended to use a *good* CV template specifically designed for academic purposes.
maurom
Hi people,

I'm dealing with the inglorious task of writing my resume in order to apply to an academic position (the lowest one: PhD student). I'm working now as research fellow (yea, it's a good career move ).
Now the question: in the head of my CV, where I should put my private details, should I put also my work details (office number, office address, work email, work telephone number?). There is some ethics involved? I mean: working with companies, it's not a good thing having your work address in your personal details (they usually think: "are you job seeking while working, huh? stealing time and money to your company?"). But in academic word (as far I've understood) it's not like that (maybe because no money to steal? :rofl:) anyhow, what your opinion on that?
Also, are you aware of any *good* CV template for academic purposes?

cheers,
Mauro

Physics news on Phys.org
At the top of your CV, you need to provide sufficient information to be contacted by- 'personal' or 'work' email address is (AFAIK) immaterial. Ditto phone number and mailing address.

Now, you need to be comfortable with whatever info you provide: for example, let's say someone from the search committee calls you at work. Can you speak freely on the phone?

I understand the importance of a well-written and professional resume when applying for academic positions. In terms of including your work details in the header of your CV, it is generally acceptable to include your office address, email, and phone number. However, it is not necessary to include your office number unless it is specifically requested by the employer. In terms of ethics, it is always best to be transparent and honest about your current employment and to make sure to not use company time or resources for job seeking activities. In the academic world, it is not uncommon for individuals to hold multiple positions and for job searching to overlap with current employment. As long as you are open and honest about your intentions, there should not be any issues.

In terms of a CV template for academic purposes, there are many available online. I would recommend looking at templates from reputable sources such as universities or academic organizations. It is important to choose a template that is clean, organized, and easy to read. Make sure to also tailor your CV to the specific position you are applying for, highlighting relevant skills and experiences. Good luck with your application!

1. How should I format my academic resume?

The most common format for an academic resume is a reverse-chronological format, meaning that you list your most recent education and experience first. Use clear headings and bullet points to organize your information and make it easy to read. Be sure to also include relevant keywords and phrases from your field to help your resume stand out.

2. What information should I include in my academic resume?

Your academic resume should include your education and degrees, relevant coursework, research experience, publications, presentations, awards and honors, teaching experience, and any other relevant experience such as internships or volunteer work. You can also include any relevant skills or certifications that are applicable to your field.

3. How long should my academic resume be?

In most cases, your academic resume should be no longer than two pages. It's important to be concise and only include relevant information. Focus on highlighting your most important achievements and experiences rather than listing every detail of your academic career.

4. Should I include references on my academic resume?

It is not necessary to include references on your academic resume. Instead, you can provide a separate document with a list of references if requested by the employer. This will also save space on your resume and allow you to focus on highlighting your accomplishments and experiences.

5. How can I make my academic resume stand out?

To make your academic resume stand out, be sure to tailor it to the specific job or program you are applying to. Highlight your most relevant experiences and skills, and use specific examples and metrics to demonstrate your achievements. Additionally, make sure your resume is error-free and visually appealing, and consider including a personal statement or objective statement to showcase your passion and goals in your field of study.