Job vs Academic Experience for MS&E PhD & Future Career

In summary, the author is trying to decide whether to work full time or part time and then volunteer in a lab before applying for a PhD program. She is considering whether or not her love of physics will be a good fit for a PhD program in Material Science and Engineering, and whether or not she should work on strengthening her application before trying again.
alphadan
Hi all again. I had received very good advice from my previous posts on PhysicsForum. Those advices certainly have helped me to navigate through all the confusions I have for my future career path. So I really appreciate the help from all of you. As I become more informed, I have more specific questions.

Background info: I have received a bachelor degree in Physics. I am trying to go into Material Science & Engineering. I took the GRE and Physics GRE already. (165 new score, 800 old score, 90th percentile for quantitative, 880, 83th percentile for physics.) I had some research experience and industrial experience (intern for a company) during my undergraduate years. However, my academic research experience wasn't very productive.

Ultimate career goal: research and development in industries as a scientist.

Now I am deciding between working full time versus working part time while volunteering in academic research setting.

I have received engineering job offer, which requires full time commitment. My initial plan was to work under a solid state physics professor at my undergrad university to strengthen my research experience.

I am not expecting to get paid for doing research. I think it's unlikely and it's asking too much. So I must also work somewhere to pay for my living expenses. I afraid full time job won't give me any extra time to devote myself to actual research.

So my question is, which one is more beneficial for getting into engineering phd programs or for my future career overall?
The reason for pursuing a PhD in MS&E is my love for solid state physics and its potential application. People tell me all the time, PhDs don't worth it... By the time I finish PhD, those people with Bachelor degree and tons of work experience will have a higher wage than me. Well... money sounds attractive but I still have a gut feeling that PhD is the way to go.

i. Work full time for 2 years before I go to graduate school, Sep, 2015-2017. Working full time gives me financial security and a lot less stress. However, I don't know if industry experience can show that I am a good PhD candidate. However, work experience is usually valued over book learning in the real world.

ii. Volunteering in a lab for 1+ years with a part time job. Volunteering lab may or may not produce good result (good result as in publication and very strong LoR.) Volunteering is also financially risky. Part time employment offers no benefits, no health insurance, no security, and low paid. I am ready to devote 1~2 years working for free in a lab. Although it isn't a lot compared to other people, I still have to pay back my student loan.

Thanks !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear to me why you can't just apply for a PhD program now?

e.bar.goum said:
It's not clear to me why you can't just apply for a PhD program now?

I tried last Fall. I applied for Condensed Matter Experiment but I couldn't get into the list of school I applied to. I guess I hadn't really thought about how was I a fit to the CME programs and how will the CME programs align with my career goal. I was naive in a way that, "i love physics, so apply and let's see where I go."
(FYI: I just got my B.S. degree couple months ago. I didn't plan to take any time off between undergrad and grad. But the current situation forces me to take 2 years off.)
After consulting with professors, friends, and internet, I realized Material Science is a better fit for me.

So I am trying to strengthen my application before I try again in Fall, 2016.

alphadan said:
I tried last Fall. I applied for Condensed Matter Experiment but I couldn't get into the list of school I applied to. I guess I hadn't really thought about how was I a fit to the CME programs and how will the CME programs align with my career goal. I was naive in a way that, "i love physics, so apply and let's see where I go."
(FYI: I just got my B.S. degree couple months ago. I didn't plan to take any time off between undergrad and grad. But the current situation forces me to take 2 years off.)
After consulting with professors, friends, and internet, I realized Material Science is a better fit for me.

So I am trying to strengthen my application before I try again in Fall, 2016.
The details are a little vague here, and you don't need to go into them, but if there is any way at all you can get into grad school sooner it would be to your benefit. Maybe someone else has different experience, but I have never known a grad program in the sciences to be interested in what kind of work experience you have after your undergrad but before applying to grad school. That is outside of the normal path, and so is not really part of how the system works in most cases.

On the other hand, if your goal is to work in industry, an appropriate job could be useful, in so far as it exposes you to the work environment of the field you are interested in, and possibly gains you relevant experience. In order for time spend volunteering in a lab to be truly beneficial to your goal, your work would have to be truly amazing to outweigh work experience. From the point of view of industry, if you were doing something worthwhile, someone would want to pay you for it. Volunteer work is nice, but not really what they are looking for.

IMO, if you have a job offer in hand, which is what you said above, you should take it.

1. What is the difference between job experience and academic experience for an MS&E PhD?

Job experience and academic experience for an MS&E PhD differ in several ways. Job experience typically involves working in a specific industry or field, while academic experience focuses on research and coursework. Additionally, job experience is often more practical and hands-on, while academic experience is more theoretical and research-based. Both types of experience can be valuable for a PhD in MS&E, as they offer different perspectives and skills.

2. Which type of experience is more beneficial for a future career in MS&E?

Both job experience and academic experience can be beneficial for a future career in MS&E. Job experience can provide practical skills and industry knowledge, while academic experience can offer research skills and a deep understanding of theoretical concepts. Ultimately, the best type of experience will depend on the individual's career goals and the specific job or industry they are interested in pursuing.

3. Can I have a successful career in MS&E without job experience?

While job experience can be beneficial for a career in MS&E, it is not a requirement for success. Many individuals have successful careers in this field with only academic experience. However, having job experience can provide a well-rounded skill set and make a candidate more competitive in the job market.

4. How can I gain job experience while pursuing an MS&E PhD?

There are several ways to gain job experience while pursuing an MS&E PhD. One option is to seek out internships or part-time jobs in the field of MS&E. Another option is to collaborate with industry partners on research projects or attend conferences and workshops to network with professionals in the field. Additionally, some universities offer co-op programs where students can alternate between semesters of coursework and work experience.

5. Is it better to have job experience before pursuing an MS&E PhD?

There is no right or wrong answer to this question, as both paths can lead to a successful career in MS&E. Some individuals may benefit from gaining job experience before pursuing a PhD, as it can give them a better understanding of their interests and goals. Others may choose to pursue a PhD directly after completing their undergraduate degree, and still have the opportunity to gain job experience during or after their studies. Ultimately, the decision should be based on the individual's personal and career goals.