Register to reply

Gravity in higher dimensions

by wendten
Tags: dimensions, gravity
Share this thread:
wendten
Sep2-09, 05:06 AM
P: 11
according to string theory, gravity got the ability to escape the D-brane of witch all matter is bound. The reason is that the boson carrying the gravity is a loop-string, with no open ends linking to the brane.. this theory should explain why the gravity is so much weaker than the other forces.

but, the way gravity is decreasing by distance is spherical(3Dimensional), by newtons law of gravity:
[tex]F = \frac{G \cdot m_{1} \cdot m_{2}}{r^{2}}[/tex]

witch indicates that there is no gravity lost to higher dimensions

my question now is: why does scientists state that gravity can escape our brane?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
Researchers find first direct evidence of 'spin symmetry' in atoms
X-ray laser probes tiny quantum tornadoes in superfluid droplets
humanino
Sep2-09, 06:59 AM
P: 2,828
Quote Quote by wendten View Post
why does scientists state that gravity can escape our brane?
Because the projection of a hypersphere on a three-dimensional "brane" still remains a sphere, the modification of the above formula for gravity is not in the exponent 2, it is in the coupling constant. The number 2 stems from the dimension of the projection of the hypersphere, it is our observable sphere. Gauss theorems still remains valid : whatever 99% of gravity which would have leaked out did leak out and we lost it there forever, whatever 1% of gravity which remains in our 3-dimensional subspace remains here.
Finbar
Sep2-09, 01:22 PM
P: 343
Quote Quote by wendten View Post
according to string theory, gravity got the ability to escape the D-brane of witch all matter is bound. The reason is that the boson carrying the gravity is a loop-string, with no open ends linking to the brane.. this theory should explain why the gravity is so much weaker than the other forces.

but, the way gravity is decreasing by distance is spherical(3Dimensional), by newtons law of gravity:
[tex]F = \frac{G \cdot m_{1} \cdot m_{2}}{r^{2}}[/tex]

witch indicates that there is no gravity lost to higher dimensions

my question now is: why does scientists state that gravity can escape our brane?
Because the extra dimensions are said to be compactified or restricted to some small radius gravity will seem to be 3d at large distances. But for small distances we expect that the force law will change to [tex]1/r^{2+n}[/tex] where n is the number of extra dimensions.

wendten
Sep3-09, 05:49 AM
Gravity in higher dimensions

Quote Quote by humanino View Post
Because the projection of a hypersphere on a three-dimensional "brane" still remains a sphere,
but won't the intensity be increased near the center of the sphere?
like if you are projection light though a glass sphere on a paper, where the geometrical form will be a filled circle, but with a darker fill in the center? as [tex]1/r^{2}[/tex]

Quote Quote by humanino View Post
whatever 1% of gravity which remains in our 3-dimensional subspace remains here.
why? doesn't it has a higher dimensional angle, that will make it escape in a certain distance from the admitting source?
wendten
Sep3-09, 05:54 AM
Quote Quote by Finbar View Post
Because the extra dimensions are said to be compactified or restricted to some small radius gravity will seem to be 3d at large distances. But for small distances we expect that the force law will change to [tex]1/r^{2+n}[/tex] where n is the number of extra dimensions.
ok, so not all higher dimensional angles are allowed? and only the fraction of the gravity following a path parallel to our brane, is experienced?
Naty1
Sep3-09, 03:56 PM
P: 5,632
My reading supports Finbar's post # 4 answer....

Humanos posts includes: "Because the projection of a hypersphere on a three-dimensional "brane" still remains a sphere, the modification of the above formula for gravity is not in the exponent 2.."

Doesn't the leakage depend on the other dimensions... NOT the brane(s)....??,

Experiments to date (so far, that is) with Casimir apparatus confirms inverse square law...but the story ending has not yet been written.

Humano's post includes:

whatever 99% of gravity which would have leaked out did leak out and we lost it there forever, whatever 1% of gravity which remains in our 3-dimensional subspace remains here.
Can anyone explain?? This seems illogical on the surface but I'm not sure I understand it.
humanino
Sep4-09, 08:32 AM
P: 2,828
Quote Quote by Naty1 View Post
Can anyone explain?? This seems illogical on the surface but I'm not sure I understand it.
Whether the modification bears on the coupling or the exponent depends on the size of additional dimensions. If you have small additional compact dimensions, then as you probe gravity to scales comparable to the additional dimensions you do get modification of the exponent. If however we assume all dimensions are equivalent, in particular if we do not assume that additional dimensions should be compact, then the flux through our slice of the hypersphere remains constant, provided the flux is divergenceless, or say uniform on the hypersphere.

Register to reply