Register to reply

History of Quantum Physics

by fantispug
Tags: history, physics, quantum
Share this thread:
fantispug
Dec8-09, 11:41 PM
P: 105
Does anyone know of any books on the history of quantum mechanics? I'd ideally like an in depth coverage of the experimental results and theoretical developments, with references to original papers. A complete treatment of non-relativistic quantum mechanics (from pre-Planck to Dirac) would be good, and through QED and QFT would be even better.

Any suggestions?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
hitmeoff
Dec8-09, 11:57 PM
P: 261
If you want a nice thorough explanation of it, I think Resnick et al. 's Quantum Physics of Atoms, Molecules, Solids, Nuclei, and Particles is a book you might want to look into.

It takes a typical approach of developing Q.P. in chronological order. Its at the level of first/second year calc based physics course
n!kofeyn
Dec9-09, 12:18 AM
P: 538
It is not really a technical book on the history, but Thirty Years that Shook Physics by George Gamow is a really great book (and fun to read too) on the history of quantum theory. It is pretty cheap as well and is probably in most university libraries. I think it is important to understand the overall story, as well as the technical story.

George Jones
Dec9-09, 08:35 AM
Mentor
P: 6,232
History of Quantum Physics

Take a look at the scholarly (in both history and physics) six-volume set The Historical Development of Quantum Theory by Jagdish Mehra and Helmut Rechenberg. Beautiful.
xristy
Dec9-09, 06:59 PM
PF Gold
P: 116
Another scholarly work (though not as comprehensive as Mehra and Rechenberg) is Abraham Pais' Inward Bound: Of Matter and Forces in the Physical World .
kote
Dec9-09, 08:07 PM
P: 871
Thomas Kuhn, Black–Body Theory and the Quantum Discontinuity 1894 – 1912, has a good history of the early days. Bohr's Atomic Theory and the Description of Nature is also essential reading for a historical view, especially considering the misconceptions about Bohr and the Copenhagen Interpretation that were prevalent for a long period of time.

Other good primary sources that don't sound quite like what you are looking for are the original EPR paper, Schrodinger's cat paradox paper, Bohm's 1952 paper, Bohr's Essays on Atomic Physics and Human Knowledge, Heisenberg's Physics and Philosophy: The Revolution in Modern Science, Bohm's Wholeness and the Implicate Order and other books.

James Cushing's Philosophical Concepts in Physics: The Historical Relation Between Philosophy and Scientific Theories has a good introductory level walk through of QM and its relations to relation to relativity and classical physics.

Actually, Bohm wrote a QM textbook (before coming up with his own interpretation), Quantum Theory, which sounds a lot more like what you're looking for. Bell's Speakable and Unspeakable in Quantum Mechanics is also probably good.

I do recommend checking out multiple sources for multiple versions of what you're reading about. Almost no one agrees on much of anything.
hitmeoff
Dec10-09, 02:29 AM
P: 261
Quote Quote by kote View Post
Actually, Bohm wrote a QM textbook (before coming up with his own interpretation), Quantum Theory, which sounds a lot more like what you're looking for. Bell's Speakable and Unspeakable in Quantum Mechanics is also probably good.
I actually own both the Bohm book, and the one I suggested (Resnick's Quantum Physics), and I found the Bohm book a little harder to read (to be honest, I didnt get out of the first few pages before stopping). I think its just his style of writing. But the Bohm book certainly has gotten alot of good reviews and probably works well for alot of people.

Might just be worth picking both up. Bohm's book is a Dover book, so that cheap enough and you can find either an older edition or an international edition of Resnick's for cheap as well I'm sure.

Let me say why I originally suggested the Resnick book. Sounded to me that T.S. wanted something a bit more "meaty" than a pop-sci book, but maybe not something quite as rigorous as to be for the upper-div/grad level. The Resnick book fit in well for this because it wasnt just simply a pop-sci treatment, doesn't require much more than a years worth of classical calc based physics and first year calc. The book also develops Q.P. in chronological order, giving lots of references to the ground breaking experiments.

Cant really comment on some of the others, as I havent looks at them, but Im sure they are worth looking at too.
Astronuc
Dec20-09, 09:03 AM
Admin
P: 21,827
Quote Quote by George Jones View Post
Take a look at the scholarly (in both history and physics) six-volume set The Historical Development of Quantum Theory by Jagdish Mehra and Helmut Rechenberg. Beautiful.
Yoiks! That's pricey, but probably worth it.

Also

QED and the men who made it: Dyson, Feynman, Schwinger, and Tomonaga
http://www.amazon.com/QED-Men-Made-S.../dp/0691033277
Silvan S. Schweber

Dirac: a scientific biography
http://www.amazon.com/Dirac-Scientif.../dp/0521380898 ($160)
By Helge Kragh

Both books have discussions of the mathematics and physics.

I think most of the great scientists have published their works.

These also look promising.

The Principles of Quantum Mechanics (International Series of Monographs on Physics) (Paperback) by Paul A. M. Dirac
http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Qua...dp/0198520115/

Paul Dirac: The Man and his Work (Hardcover)
http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Dirac-Man...dp/0521583829/
~ Abraham Pais (Author), Maurice Jacob (Author), David I. Olive (Author), Michael F. Atiyah (Author)

Relativistic Quantum Mechanics: With Applications in Condensed Matter and Atomic Physics
http://www.amazon.com/Relativistic-Q...dp/0521565839/
by Paul Strange (Paperback - Nov 13, 1998)
Sound Of Wisdom
Dec26-09, 04:46 PM
P: 7
Conceptual Developments of Quantum Mechanics, Max Jammer
Thomas Kuhn, Black–Body Theory and the Quantum Discontinuity 1894 – 1912
Mehra, The Historical Development of Quantum Theory, 6 vol. set (for the full story of QM)

Register to reply