High-level book on scattering in quantum mechanics

In summary, the conversation is about the search for a book on scattering in quantum mechanics at the research-level. The individual is interested in finding a text that focuses on mathematical details such as the analytic structure of the S matrix, the relationship between the S matrix and various green's/two-point functions, and the meaning of poles in the S matrix. They mention that scattering is treated differently in graduate QM courses and QFT courses, and they are looking for a book that covers both in a unified way. One book suggestion is Taylor's "Scattering Theory: The Quantum Theory of Nonrelativistic Collisions," but the individual is aiming for a higher level. Another book recommendation is Eden et al's "Scattering in Quantum Field
king vitamin
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm interested in a book which treats scattering in quantum mechanics aimed at the research-level. I'm particularly interested in a text which focuses on mathematical details such as the analytic structure of the S matrix, the relation between the S matrix and various green's/two-point functions, the meaning of poles in the S matrix and the relevance to where they lie on the complex plane, etc.

One major point of confusion I've always had is that scattering is treated quite differently in graduate QM courses and QFT courses, and so a book which treats both in a unified way would be ideal.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know Taylor's "Scattering Theory: The Quantum Theory of Nonrelativistic Collisions"? I'm not sure if it is high-level enough for your purposes, though.

Likes king vitamin
I'd forgotten about Taylor, but looking it up I see that I've actually looked at it before when I had questions about scattering, thanks! I was aiming for a higher level but this definitely looks like a good place to start when I have questions.

1. What is the purpose of a high-level book on scattering in quantum mechanics?

A high-level book on scattering in quantum mechanics is designed to provide a comprehensive and in-depth understanding of the principles and theories behind scattering processes in quantum systems. It is intended for advanced students and researchers in the field who already have a strong foundation in quantum mechanics.

2. What topics are typically covered in a high-level book on scattering in quantum mechanics?

A high-level book on scattering in quantum mechanics typically covers topics such as the scattering matrix, partial wave analysis, phase shifts, and the Born approximation. It may also delve into more advanced topics such as scattering in relativistic quantum mechanics and scattering in field theory.

3. How is scattering in quantum mechanics different from classical scattering?

Scattering in quantum mechanics is fundamentally different from classical scattering because it takes into account the wave-like nature of particles and the probabilistic nature of quantum systems. This means that in quantum scattering, the outcome of a scattering event is not deterministic and can only be described in terms of probabilities.

4. What are some real-world applications of scattering in quantum mechanics?

Scattering in quantum mechanics has many practical applications, including in nuclear physics, particle physics, and materials science. It is used to study the structure and properties of atomic nuclei, to understand the behavior of subatomic particles, and to analyze the properties of materials at the atomic scale.

5. Are there any recommended prerequisites for reading a high-level book on scattering in quantum mechanics?

Yes, a strong foundation in quantum mechanics is essential for understanding a high-level book on scattering. It is also helpful to have a background in mathematical methods such as linear algebra, differential equations, and complex analysis. Familiarity with basic concepts in nuclear and particle physics is also beneficial.