Register to reply

Writing a letter asking for possible assignment

by sz0
Tags: assignment, letter, writing
Share this thread:
sz0
Mar24-10, 09:11 AM
P: 12
Hello, i seem to have a conundrum on my hands that i hope the kind people on here might be able to give me some tips about how to handle.

I am currecntly working on my bachelor degree in physics, and have one more year before i'm finnished with that and will go on to my masters(and finally phd).
Recently at a social gathering I was conversing with a exchange student doing his master thesis.
I mentioned my intrest in going into a sertain field of recearch, he then gave me the email of someone he knew in this field to contact. Becuse maybe i could do some sort of job for this person during the summer or something like that.

I now am quite excited about this oppertunity, but at the same time realise that i as a bachelor student lack any signifigant knowledge about anything.But I figure if he tells me I'm useless I'm not worse of then if I do nothing anyway, yet I get very anxius about this. Could you guys maybe advise me as to what I should write to this person and if this sort of thing is a common way to get a foot in?
Is this maybe just the result of a drunk guy giving away adresses to people he hardly knows :)?

If you think this forum post is a disaster, then you realise why I was worried about writing the mail straight away. I am very thankful for anyone taking the time to respond.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
story645
Mar24-10, 05:44 PM
P: 670
Go for it. The worst thing that'll happen is that he won't reply or will say no, which really isn't a big thing once you realize how much email professors are inundated with.

You write a professional, cordial, business letter similar to:

Hello Professor X,
Y, your former student/co-author/insert relationship here, gave me your email address because I am a junior undergrad in physics at university Z and am interested in doing research in [field]. Would it be possible to work with you this summer?
sz0
Mar26-10, 10:45 PM
P: 12
That you, that was just what i needed to hear to just do it.

Register to reply