Best Intro to Quantum Field Theory Article?

In summary, the best introductory book on quantum field theory is "Gauge Theories in Particle Physics" by I. Aitchison and A. Hey.
Geremia
I have pretty good handle on non-relativistic quantum mechanics, but I would like to learn about the Standard Model (Quantum Field Theory). What is the best introductory book and/or introductory article on QFT? Thanks

Here are some I've heard of:

Articles
  • "[URL Model: An Introduction
    Authors: S. F. Novaes (Instituto de Fisica Teorica, UNESP)[/URL]
Books
  • B. de Wit and J. Smith. Field Theory in Particle Physics. North Holland, 1986.
  • I. Aitchison and A. Hey. Gauge Theories in Particle Physics. Adam Hilger, 1989.
  • L. Ryder. Quantum Field Theory. Cambridge Univ. Press, 1985.
  • C. Itzykson and B. Zuber. Quantum Field Theory. McGraw Hill, New York, 1980.
  • T. Cheng and L. Li. Gauge theory of elementary particle physics. Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1984.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ultimately you'll want serious textbooks, like Srednicki (online) or Zee, but at a beginner level I'd consider "qft demystified" and resources such as:Notes of an adult education course "about" (not "on") QFT, that is, a conceptual overview designed to build a grounding from which serious texts will be accessible.
http://homepage.mac.com/stevepur/physics/matter/

"Preschool problems" (! ...from the postgrad high energy physics summer school at Oxford) explaining classical field theory (which most people now aren't taught before they become interested in QFT).
http://hepwww.rl.ac.uk/hepsummerschool/

Crash-course in'duction to QFT. This races through two different approaches to deriving QFT (one of which is to quantise classical field theory) then proceeds to actually calculate stuff (scattering and particle decay, to lowest order so as to omit renormalisation). What makes these notes simple is that (like part I of Srednicki) they restrict attention to scalar particles (..such as pions) rather than simultaneously introducing spin, etc.
http://www.hep.manchester.ac.uk/u/forshaw/NorthWest/QFT.html

Last edited by a moderator:
After doing a little research, this one appears the best:
Geremia said:
I. Aitchison and A. Hey. Gauge Theories in Particle Physics

Geremia said:
After doing a little research, this one appears the best:

I don't think there is a "best" book.
Geremia said:
I. Aitchison and A. Hey. Gauge Theories in Particle Physics. Adam Hilger, 1989.

I don't know that much about quantum Field theory, but I would recommend this for self-study. For self-study, however, I think the expanded two-volume 2003 edition is better.

I think anyone serious about QFT will read at least 3-4 books about it, if not more. Different authors have different viewpoints, and in the end you simply need to develop your own.

I highly recommend Tong's lecture notes as a first exposure (see post from atyy). Also, for a more condensed matter oriented book you should try the book by Micheal Stone.

1. What is Quantum Field Theory (QFT)?

Quantum Field Theory is a theoretical framework that combines quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of subatomic particles.

2. Why is QFT considered important in physics?

QFT is considered important in physics because it provides a consistent and accurate description of the fundamental interactions between particles, including the strong and weak nuclear forces, and electromagnetism.

3. What are the prerequisites for understanding QFT?

A strong understanding of classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and special relativity is necessary to fully understand QFT. A background in advanced mathematics, such as calculus and linear algebra, is also helpful.

4. Are there any real-world applications of QFT?

Yes, QFT has numerous applications in modern technology, such as in the development of transistors, lasers, and superconductors. It also plays a crucial role in developing theories of condensed matter and high-energy physics.

5. Is there a recommended article for beginners to learn about QFT?

There are many articles available on QFT, but one highly recommended article for beginners is "Quantum Field Theory: A Beginner's Guide" by Matt Strassler. It provides a clear and concise introduction to the subject with helpful illustrations and examples.