Max P.S.I. at Bottom of Pipe with 60' Drop?

• Thread starter acschier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pipe
In summary, the goal is to create maximum P.S.I. at the bottom of a 60 foot vertical drop to run a water wheel or turbine. The pipe size does not affect the pressure at the bottom, but it should be chosen to handle the desired flow rate without excessive loss. The formula to calculate pressure is p=.433h, where h is the height in feet and p is the pressure in psi.
acschier
To keep it simple: I have a vertical 60 foot drop. I want to create the maximum P.S.I. at the bottom of the pipe possible to run a water wheel or a turbine. If the bottom hole (say 2") and the vertical drop of two pipes is the same will there be a difference in a 4" or a 2" pipe? Note: there would be a small dam at the top to fill the pipe to maximum capacity. Also, is there a formula to easily figure out P.S.I. using drop height, water area and weight including the limiting factor of the bottom hole? Thanks!
(I am only a Physics 12 grad so keep it simple) :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

The larger the pipe, the lower the resistance to flow (and loss of energy) once the water starts moving, but otherwise, no: the pressure at the bottom of the pipe is dictated by the vertical drop alone. So you'll want to figure out how much flow rate you have available and make sure the pipe can handle it without too much loss (keep it below about 5 fps velocity), but otherwise pipe size doesn't matter much. The formula is p=.433h (h is height in feet, p is pressure in psi).

Thank you very much, that's exactly what I needed!

FAQ: Max P.S.I. at Bottom of Pipe with 60' Drop?

1. What is "Max P.S.I." and why is it important?

"Max P.S.I." stands for maximum pounds per square inch, and it is a measure of the amount of pressure that can be exerted on a surface. In the context of a pipe with a 60' drop, it is important to know the maximum P.S.I. at the bottom of the pipe to ensure the pipe can safely handle the pressure without any leaks or damage.

2. How is the "Max P.S.I." at the bottom of a pipe with a 60' drop calculated?

The "Max P.S.I." at the bottom of a pipe with a 60' drop is calculated by taking into account the height of the pipe, the weight of the water, and the pressure exerted by gravity. This calculation can be done using the formula P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of water, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the pipe.

3. What factors can affect the "Max P.S.I." at the bottom of a pipe?

There are several factors that can affect the "Max P.S.I." at the bottom of a pipe with a 60' drop. These include the diameter and thickness of the pipe, the material it is made of, the temperature and density of the fluid flowing through the pipe, and any external forces such as wind or vibrations.

4. How does the "Max P.S.I." at the bottom of a pipe with a 60' drop impact the overall system?

The "Max P.S.I." at the bottom of a pipe with a 60' drop is an important factor to consider in the design and operation of a system. If the pressure exceeds the maximum limit, it can cause damage to the pipe or other components, leading to potential leaks and system failures. Therefore, it is crucial to ensure that the "Max P.S.I." is within a safe range to maintain the integrity and efficiency of the system.

5. What are some ways to increase the "Max P.S.I." at the bottom of a pipe with a 60' drop?

One way to increase the "Max P.S.I." at the bottom of a pipe with a 60' drop is to increase the thickness and strength of the pipe. Another way is to reduce the height of the pipe or the drop, which would decrease the pressure exerted on the bottom. Additionally, using materials with a higher pressure rating or incorporating supports and reinforcements can also help increase the "Max P.S.I." at the bottom of the pipe.

Back