What kind of fish fossil did I find on the beach in Swansea, UK?

• Thread starter Dylan Roberts
  • Start date
In summary: Appears To Be A Fish With A Small Nose.In summary, this 14-year-old found a rock with a fish on it, and believes it is a coral. The rock is from the Carboniferous period, which is 300 to 330 million years old. The fish may have been an amphibian or a primitive fish. The rock should be checked at a university or college to see if it is a fossil.
Dylan Roberts
I Found This Rock/Pebble Whilst Down The Beach In Swansea, UK And I Was Intruged As To What It Is.. After Inspection I'd Almost Definately Say Its Of A Fish And One With Eyes Very Close Together It Would Appear... It Also Has A Large Tail/Fin On One Side On The Rock, Also It Appears To Have A Small ''Nose'' Approximately 1cm Infront Of Its Eyes. The Reason It Is Shiny Is Because I Made It Glossy To Bring Out Detail, There Are Also Definate Bone Like Structures Throughout The ''Tail''. Any Help With This Is Very Much Appreciated As I am Only 14 And This Is Quite Exciting As I Want A Job In Geology When I am Older... Thanks Again.
Fossil.jpg

Fossil 2.jpg

Fossil3.jpg

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Why don't you bring it to your local university or college and see what they say?

Yeah Thats An Idea :) Is This A Fossil Though Because I Really Dont Want To Look Silly Hehe

Why would you look silly? And if you did, who cares? You'll learn something either way.

Yeah Hope This Is Something Good Now :) Also I Found 2 Mussel Fossils And A Limpet Fossil ... Well That What They Look Like

I looked up Swansea, and it appears to be an area of Torridonian sandstone.
If so, then that would make it 542 million years old or more.

opps, the first map I looked at had 2 colors (navy blue and black) for different geologies.
One of those colors was near Swansea and my computer didn't display the difference very well.

On a second map, it appears clearer that Swansea has a coal measure geology.
That would be the upper carboniferous period or somewhere between 300 to 330 million years old. As far as fossils go, that is a much richer period of time.

Wow Interesting... So This Would Be A Very old Fossil ? Was This Around The point Fish Started Becoming Amphibians Before Or After ? I am So Glad With My Find Now :) And I've Noticed Now Aswell That There's A Fin Going Across The Whole Top Of Its Body

Hey,

Swansea is indeed on Carboniferous-aged rocks. The fossil appears to be a coral. Specifically a rugose-type coral. The preservation isn't great, but still a nice find. The area around Swansea is a classic locality for Carboniferous marine limestones - essentially an ancient reef.

Dylan Roberts said:
I Really Dont Want To Look Silly Hehe

First rule when you want to look serious: avoid abuse of formatting and capitalization.

Dylan Roberts said:
Yeah Thats An Idea :) Is This A Fossil Though Because I Really Dont Want To Look Silly Hehe

I found out that ppl involved with geology and paleontology are really cool guys and girls. They are most of the time happy when you go to them with something, no matter how little thing it is. I think most of them will be nice and won't ridicule you even if its not a fossil.

Im Going To Get It Checked Soon, More Hunting In The Same Place Tommorow I Think. :)

Dylan Roberts said:
Im Going To Get It Checked Soon, More Hunting In The Same Place Tommorow I Think. :)

See, Borek, how much he cares :devil:

About My Grammar Or Fossil Hunting Lol ?

If i started to dig into a limestone cliff could i find fossils and also is it legal ? Even though its on a secluded bay so hardly anyone would see ;).

Dylan Roberts said:
If i started to dig into a limestone cliff could i find fossils and also is it legal ? Even though its on a secluded bay so hardly anyone would see ;).

Check your legislation for the general case and be aware it is a misdemeanor in most of the world to dig in protected areas.

There's probably a high chance of it being protected :(. How Do I Go About Finding Out About The Legislation ?

Dylan Roberts said:

Fossils should only be removed if they are loose, or easily extracted from the rock. Please do not "dig" out large portions of rock, especially a cliff - it could be dangerous. However, you must obtain permission from the landowner if the site on private land, and most importantly, check the site is not an SSSI, RIGS or other protected site. This website gives basic safety information, as well as some very good fossil localities: http://www.ukfossils.co.uk/national_collecting_code.htm

P.S Look up the page a wee bit and you'll see I've told you what your fossil is :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks For All The Help :)! However I Really Dont Think This Is Rugose Coral As I Can Definately Make Out The Structures In Picture 2 To Be 3 Seperate ''Bones'' And Also I Can Make Out 1 definate eye and another highly possible one. Also it now looks like a fin running along the top of it. Some Of These are hard to notice in the pictures but they are all definitely there ?? Its A Puzzling One

And also can u find fossils in a limestone cliff people :)?

Last edited:
Dylan Roberts said:
Wow Interesting... Was This Around The point Fish Started Becoming Amphibians Before Or After ?

The fish of the fossil lived between 30 to 100 million years before fish had evolved legs and started walking on land. So, there were plenty of land creatures by the time.

Lots of coal beds were being laid down at the time because there were lots of plant life on land especially in marshy areas. This supported lots of insects, amphibians and reptiles, but no dinosaurs or birds. Don't believe there were real trees as we know them either at the time.

Thanks For All The Information :) Also I Have One Of A Mussel, One Of A Limpet And One That Includes 2 Razor Fish But Their Only About 3cm Each... Would All These Be Around The Same Time Also ?

geologyrocks said:
Fossils should only be removed if they are loose, or easily extracted from the rock. Please do not "dig" out large portions of rock, especially a cliff - it could be dangerous.

Dangerous things are fun :P The real problem would be the with chaotic digging the destruction of a potentially valuable site.

Last edited:
I went today and got a crinoid :)

What is a fossil?

A fossil is the preserved remains or traces of an organism that lived in the past. Fossils can be bones, shells, footprints, or even imprints of soft tissues.

How are fossils formed?

Fossils are formed when an organism is buried in sediment, such as mud or sand, and the sediment hardens into rock over time. The organism's remains are slowly replaced by minerals, creating a fossil.

What is the importance of studying fossils?

Studying fossils allows us to understand the history of life on Earth and how organisms have evolved over time. Fossils also provide evidence for past environments and can help us predict future changes in our planet.

How do scientists determine the age of fossils?

Scientists use a variety of methods to determine the age of fossils, including radiometric dating, which measures the decay of radioactive isotopes, and relative dating, which compares the position of fossils in rock layers.

What can we learn from a fossil of a fish?

A fossil of a fish can provide information about the anatomy and behavior of the fish, as well as the environment in which it lived. It can also give insights into the evolution of fish and their role in the history of life on Earth.