Dead birds and fish in Arkansas

by EnumaElish
Tags: arkansas, birds, dead, fish
EnumaElish
Jan3-11, 03:13 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,483
'A state veterinarian tells NBC that preliminary necropsy results show that the birds died of "multiple blunt trauma to their vital organs." ' -- http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theloo...ratching-heads

Would that be a hailstorm?

What about the fish, only a coincidence?
Phys.Org News Partner Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Evo
Jan3-11, 06:03 PM
Mentor
P: 25,924
Poor things could have gotten caught in a strong system and battered with hail. Terrible.

The fish seem to be a coincidence and it's only one species, so they ruled out pollutants.
lisab
Jan3-11, 08:18 PM
Mentor
P: 2,914
Why were they flying at night in the first place? Black birds aren't night birds.

Ivan Seeking
Jan3-11, 08:37 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,492

Dead birds and fish in Arkansas

Quote Quote by lisab View Post
Why were they flying at night in the first place? Black birds aren't night birds.
There was speculation that they were frightened by something, perhaps lightning, and then took flight.
Evo
Jan3-11, 09:23 PM
Mentor
I heard it was fireworks, it was New Year's Eve.
NeoDevin
Jan4-11, 11:24 AM
P: 685
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
I heard it was fireworks, it was New Year's Eve.
That was my understanding as well, from the news stories I've read.
EnumaElish
Jan4-11, 12:20 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,483
Another large bird kill reported, this time in Louisiana leads me to think that fireworks may not be the cause. Isn't "blunt trauma" what you'd expect if they were falling out of the sky? Granted, it's preliminary.
Evo
Jan4-11, 12:45 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by EnumaElish View Post
Another large bird kill reported, this time in Louisiana leads me to think that fireworks may not be the cause. Isn't "blunt trauma" what you'd expect if they were falling out of the sky? Granted, it's preliminary.
Fireworks still could have sent the first group flying, it was at night.
russ_watters
Jan4-11, 09:47 PM
Mentor
P: 21,998
Quote Quote by EnumaElish View Post
Isn't "blunt trauma" what you'd expect if they were falling out of the sky? Granted, it's preliminary.
I was under the impression that the "blunt trauma" happened before they fell out of the sky. As-in, the shock-wave of the thunder-crack or firework explosion killed them.
malm1987
Jan5-11, 10:52 AM
P: 17
Seems to me that the media is greatly exaggerating (surprise). They make it seem like if it's the end of the world (some even explicitly said so), but the fact of the matter is that these things happen. Quite often too. Here is a list of the animal deaths during 2010: http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/mortality_events/ongoing.jsp

Funny thing, this same thing happened yesterday here in Sweden. But they found the cause for it rather quickly, a truck driver hit them. The Swedish media wasn't quite so quick to deliver that news though, wasn't sensationalistic enough I guess.

Bottom line, these things happen every now and then. My thoughts goes to the birds friends and relatives;)
Greg Bernhardt
Jan5-11, 11:03 AM
Admin
P: 8,531
Quote Quote by malm1987 View Post
Funny thing, this same thing happened yesterday here in Sweden. But they found the cause for it rather quickly, a truck driver hit them. The Swedish media wasn't quite so quick to deliver that news though, wasn't sensationalistic enough I guess.
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...-birds-sweden/

However, the cause of the jackdaws' deaths was disputed after a truck driver claimed he was responsible.

Police told the newspaper the majority of the jackdaws involved were not "physically damaged," which would contradicted the truck driver's account of events.
malm1987
Jan5-11, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I saw that too. Although there is one thing missing in that article; the statement from the truckdriver saying that he is certain that he drove over quite a few, and that the rest must have died of either shock or air-draft from the truck. Honestly, I think that it sounds like a quite plausible explanation=)
jsland
Jan6-11, 11:02 AM
P: 5
200,000 dead from a truck at once????
Surely more than one species of bird and one of fish, would be involved in these deaths if it was a general poisoning, or a fly or swim into a poisoned area. "Multiple blunt trauma" internally doesn't suggest a physical external accident unless something is breathed in that is full of chunks of something. But wouldn't that just go to the lungs? And there's always the fish. What causes multiple blunt trauma to the vital organs of ONE species of bird? And maybe it wasn't flying at the time -which the blackbird doesn't normally do overnight-but eating grain (it's a grain bird) which had been poisoned, sprayed, or GMO treated. Then that flock -how many numbers migrate usually together at once?- tries to fly from the place of injury together and the flying makes it worse, spreads it, and they collapse. What if some of what they ate was dumped in the river too?
Evo
Jan6-11, 11:16 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by jsland View Post
No, 70-100.

"Multiple blunt trauma" internally doesn't suggest a physical external accident unless something is breathed in that is full of chunks of something. But wouldn't that just go to the lungs?
Blunt trauma to internal organs doesn't mean that the trauma happened from within, it was external trauma that damaged the internal organs.

And maybe it wasn't flying at the time -which the blackbird doesn't normally do overnight-but eating grain (it's a grain bird) which had been poisoned, sprayed, or GMO treated. Then that flock -how many numbers migrate usually together at once?- tries to fly from the place of injury together and the flying makes it worse, spreads it, and they collapse.
There is no report of poison. Other species of birds would have been affected. The birds (in the case of the event in Arkansas) fell from the sky.

What if some of what they ate was dumped in the river too?
Then it would have affected other fish, not just one species.
malm1987
Jan6-11, 11:23 AM
Surely more than one species of bird and one of fish, would be involved in these deaths if it was a general poisoning, or a fly or swim into a poisoned area. "Multiple blunt trauma" internally doesn't suggest a physical external accident unless something is breathed in that is full of chunks of something. But wouldn't that just go to the lungs? And there's always the fish. What causes multiple blunt trauma to the vital organs of ONE species of bird? And maybe it wasn't flying at the time -which the blackbird doesn't normally do overnight-but eating grain (it's a grain bird) which had been poisoned, sprayed, or GMO treated. Then that flock -how many numbers migrate usually together at once?- tries to fly from the place of injury together and the flying makes it worse, spreads it, and they collapse. What if some of what they ate was dumped in the river too?
I said that the birds in Sweden most likelly died because someone (that even admited to it) ran them over with a huge truck, and that was like 70 birds or something. I did not suggest that the truck was responsible for all the animal casualties around the world. And if you bothered to look things up (hint: USGS works fine for that purpose), then you would see that mass deaths among birds, fish and other species alike are a very common thing.

But hey, what do the people monitoring this stuff for a living know? Nah, it's probably better to trust the national/international media circus. Last year there was an abnormal numbers of earthquakes, and this year there's something equally abnormal regarding animal deaths. Now, perhaps it would be wise to think this over one more time; was there really so many earthquakes last year (no, not according to statistics). The same goes for this over-hyped mass death of animals. These things happen all the time, but now everybody is keen on supporting evidence of this happening in "an alarming rate" and thus we tend to notice it more often now then we did before...
dancer
Jan6-11, 11:37 AM
P: 7
Hi I'm Sue and I'm new in here :) nice to know ya!
sorry for my english, I'm Italian so it's not so perfect :).
that's an interesting topic :), the fact is happened around 11:10 p.m (I'm reading on a website) so I think the fireworks aren't. Where I live there are tress and a lot of birds species and on 31 the fireworks can make tremble the houses but I've never seen a thing like this. I found out this new article about dead birds and fish, I'm not a Physician so I don't know what could be but I think that an electromagnetic manipulation could be more reasonable of fireworks. what I ask to myself about it is..."why in Italy nobody talk about it? and Y the news aint really talking about it? " I didn't hear the sweden fact either.
jsland
Jan6-11, 11:59 AM
P: 5
No, 70-100.
jsland:Yes, that's why I put exclamations. Why draw a parallel between the truck incident and the 200,000 birds?

Blunt trauma to internal organs doesn't mean that the trauma happened from within, it was external trauma that damaged the internal organs.
jsland:Then they would have reported that: external blows which didn't damage the outer flesh but only the internal organs. All 200,000 of them?

There is no report of poison. Other species of birds would have been affected. The birds (in the case of the event in Arkansas) fell from the sky.
jsland: That's my point. The only way poison would have affected one species is if it entered the blackbirds, who are grain feeders, from some 'tampered' grain that only they were eating.

Then it would have affected other fish, not just one species.
jsland: And once again, that's my point. Then what is the 'accidental' cause?
Evo
Jan6-11, 12:06 PM
Mentor
jsland:Yes, that's why I put exclamations. Why draw a parallel between the truck incident and the 200,000 birds?
There are no 200,000 birds. I suggest you read the article again.

Register to reply