Force on a plate due to an air jet

In summary, your air jet setup may be creating a force that is not consistent with the theoretical value.
MspEng
1. I am trying to come up with an explanation as to why the force on a plate as provided by a jet of air, does not vary with the distance from the plate. We set up in a lab a vertical pointing air jet giving a constant output and gradually increased the height of the plate above the jet whilst measuring the force upon it as imparted by the jet using a Newton-metre. I have done all the calcs and am happy with their accuracy but the problem is our experiment gave a constant force of 1.4 N approx and the theory gives a value of 2.96 N. My big problem is i cannot explain why this is, the equations i provide below work on the assumption that the exit velocity of the nozzle (where the jet exits) is uniform, one dimensional (basically it obeys bernoullis equation) Below is my working for the theoretical value, and the experimental value of force was found to be approximately 1.4 N as stated before... hope someone can explain why there is such a gap between the therory and the reality!

F_P= m_e v_e=(0.039)(75.56)= 2.96 N

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a few thoughts on this, but I have to ask one question first:

This setup, from your description I'm assuming is an air jet blowing vertically onto a plate hanging from a force meter.

Now, what is the plate made from and more importantly, what is it's mass?

I ask, because if the plate has a bit of weight the air jet has to overcome that before it can move the force meter.

I would recommend you setup this experiment horizontally so that the weight of the plate is no longer an issue.

I'm doing a similar experiment, and have my theoretical values coming off around 7, even though my actual values are around 1.6...

I'm not entirely sure but isn't the force equal no matter how far away the jet is due to conservation of momentum: even though the speed of the jet may not be as high at the further away points, the pressure is higher, and there is a greater surface area of the jet hitting the plate.

What is the force on a plate due to an air jet?

The force on a plate due to an air jet is the physical push or pull exerted by the air jet on the surface of the plate. This force is caused by the change in momentum of the air particles as they collide with the plate.

How is the force on a plate due to an air jet calculated?

The force on a plate due to an air jet can be calculated using the equation F = ρ*A*v^2, where ρ is the density of the air, A is the area of the plate, and v is the velocity of the air jet. This equation is derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration.

What factors affect the force on a plate due to an air jet?

The force on a plate due to an air jet is affected by several factors, including the density of the air, the velocity of the air jet, the shape and size of the plate, and the angle at which the air jet hits the plate. Additionally, the presence of any obstructions or turbulence in the air flow can also impact the force on the plate.

How does the force on a plate due to an air jet change over time?

The force on a plate due to an air jet can change over time as the velocity of the air jet changes. As the air jet loses momentum and slows down, the force on the plate will also decrease. Additionally, the force may also change over time if the angle or position of the plate is altered.

What is the significance of understanding the force on a plate due to an air jet?

Understanding the force on a plate due to an air jet is important in various fields, such as engineering, aerodynamics, and meteorology. It can help in designing and optimizing structures that are exposed to air flow, as well as predicting the effects of wind and air pressure on objects and surfaces.