Mechanics of Materials: find combined loading

SoylentBlue
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
Homework Statement
This is not a homework assignment. I am studying civil engineering by myself.
Relevant Equations
Sum of the moments when you cut a beam, as shown above.
TL;DR Summary: A frame with a triangular distributed load is pin-connected to a 2-force member. Find the combined stress at point E on the frame.

problems838-39.jpg
Problem8-39solution.jpg

I am stuck at determining the value of M at the cut. The book shows the value at 8.25KN-meter, but I cannot see how they arrived at that number.
Thank you in advance. I am trying to learn this on my own, so the Internet is my professor right now.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Begin by writing the shear ##V## as a function of ##x##. To do this use the definition:

$$ \int dV = -\int w(x)~dx $$

Be careful writing ##w(x)##. The value of the distributed load at distance ##x## from ##A## is that of a line passing through the origin. Write the equation of that line, and integrate on the left from ##V_o## to ##V## ( note initial conditions of ##V## are not zero), and on the right from ##0## to ##x##.

Once you have obtained ##V(x)##, integrate once more to obtain ##M(x)##.

SoylentBlue said:
Homework Statement: This is not a homework assignment. I am studying civil engineering by myself.
Relevant Equations: Sum of the moments when you cut a beam, as shown above.

TL;DR Summary: A frame with a triangular distributed load is pin-connected to a 2-force member. Find the combined stress at point E on the frame.

View attachment 335991View attachment 335992

I am stuck at determining the value of M at the cut. The book shows the value at 8.25KN-meter, but I cannot see how they arrived at that number.
Thank you in advance. I am trying to learn this on my own, so the Internet is my professor right now.
What you are currently trying to do, you have incorrectly calculated the effective load. What is the value of the distributed load evaluated at ##x = 1.5 ~\rm{m}## ( i.e. ##w( 1.5 ~ \rm{m} ) ~\rm{ \frac{[kN]}{[m]}}##)?

erobz said:
Begin by writing the shear ##V## as a function of ##x##. To do this use the definition:

$$ \int dV = -\int w(x)~dx $$

Be careful writing ##w(x)##. The value of the distributed load at distance ##x## from ##A## is that of a line passing through the origin. Write the equation of that line, and integrate on the left from ##V_o## to ##V## ( note initial conditions of ##V## are not zero), and on the right from ##0## to ##x##.

Once you have obtained ##V(x)##, integrate once more to obtain ##M(x)##.
OK, so the equation for the load is simply y=4x.
To obtain shear, integrate y=4x to yield y=2x2.
At a value of x=1.5, the shear is 4.5KN, which agrees with the book's answer key.
Is this correct so far?
Integrate again and you get y=2x3/3.
At a value of 1.5, this yields a moment of 2.25 KNmeters.

I'm still a little foggy on how these pieces fit together. In a statics video using a single triangular distributed load, the instructor mentioned several times that the moment curve is the integral of the shear curve. But when he solved for the moment he did not use those relationships. Instead he cut the beam and examined the left side; he used Mcut - (distance to origin)*Ay (where Ay is the upward force at the origin) plus 0.5 (the centroid of the triangle)*concentrated load.
The book's answer key shows a triangular distributed load of 2kN/m at 1.5 meters. I'm not sure how we jumped from 4kN/m to 2kN/m using the shear-moment diagram and the intregrals.
Thank you again...all help is appreciated!! :^)

Attachments

• Prob38-9shearmomentdiagram.jpg
    Prob38-9shearmomentdiagram.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 30
OK, for anyone else who is stuck here, I found the answer in another youtube video:

The equation of our line is y=mx+b. b=0. m is the slope, which they call 4KN/3m when you examine the left-most 3 meters of the load (back to that in a, ahem, moment. Sorry, I just couldn't resist making that pun).
So the equation of our line is y= 4/3x.
V=6 - integral of 4/3xdx = 6- 4/3 x2/2 = 6 - 2/3 x2
For x = 1.5, V = 6 -2/3(1.5)2 = 4.5, which agrees with the book's answer key.
To get the moment, we integrate again: M = integral of 2/3x2dx = 2/3 x3/3 = 2/9x3. For x=1.5, we get a moment of 0.75, which, when subtracted from the moment of 9kNmeters, yields 8.25 kNmeters, which agrees with the book's answer key.

And yes, I realize I drew the moment diagram incorrectly; it should look like an upside-down U.

So, back to that determination of the slope. When I see 4KN/m, I assume 4KN rise per meter of run, or a slope of 4. They show a triangle 3 meters wide and 4 KN tall, and call the slope 4/3. Can anyone comment on this please? Thank you.

They show a peak distributed load value of 4 kN/m @ x = 3m. It is not 4kN load at x=3m.

erobz said:
They show a peak distributed load value of 4 kN/m @ x = 3m. It is not 4kN load at x=3m.
Oh, thank you!!! That was a subtlety that I had missed. And it obviously had a profound effect on the calculations. Thank you again.

Likes erobz

1. What is combined loading in mechanics of materials?

Combined loading in mechanics of materials refers to the situation where a structural element is subjected to multiple types of loading, such as tension, compression, bending, and shear. This can occur in real-world scenarios where a structure is subject to various forces and moments simultaneously.

2. How is combined loading calculated?

The calculation for combined loading involves using the principles of static equilibrium and stress analysis to determine the internal forces and stresses acting on the structural element. This can be done through various methods, such as the method of sections or the method of superposition.

3. What are the types of stresses in combined loading?

The types of stresses that can occur in combined loading include normal stress (tension and compression), shear stress, and bending stress. These stresses can act in different directions and magnitudes, depending on the loading conditions.

4. What is the significance of combined loading in structural design?

Combined loading is important in structural design because it allows engineers to accurately predict the behavior and strength of a structure under different loading conditions. It also helps in optimizing the design to withstand multiple types of loading, ensuring the safety and stability of the structure.

5. What are some common examples of combined loading in real-world applications?

Some common examples of combined loading in real-world applications include bridges, buildings, and aircraft structures. These structures are subjected to various types of loading, such as wind, earthquakes, and traffic, which require engineers to consider combined loading in their design process.