How does magnetism work and why are moving charges involved?

• Thread starter TheTankEngine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetism
In summary, magnetism is caused by the movement of electrons, which creates an electric field, which then creates a magnetic field at right angles to the electric field. Poles are necessary for magnets and their interactions can be determined by comparing the direction of the electrons' movement.
TheTankEngine
I would really appreciate any help understanding magnetism.

First off, for all I know, no one can fully explain WHY moving charges create a magnetic field, but can tell you HOW they will behave and interact with each other. I'm hoping I'm wrong and that there is a reason.
(If at any time I am wrong (I will be) please tell me so)

I personally don't like the idea of imagining electric and magnetic field lines. They do, however, work very well to predict how things will happen. To me, the lines just symbolize the strength of the magnetic field.

Moving on, if the electrons "spinning" (I know that is controversial, but I have no clue) around the nucleus are what make the magnet have it's combined field, then the electrons are all "spinning" perpendicular to the north and south "poles" because the magnetic field is induced at right angles to the moving charges.

Using this logic, poles are unnecessary (but still work as a representation) and the interaction between magnets can be determined by comparing which way the electrons are "spinning". I have puzzled this out in by head, and this makes sense, including the Right Hand Rule and everything I could think of.

It seems that moving charges that are moving in the same direction are attracted to each other. This should only work when the certain charge is moving in relation to the opposite charge (did I word that well?). For example, in a wire with a current, the electrons are moving, but the nuclei aren't (relatively).

Any thoughts or explanations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the idea of electrons "spinning" around a nucleus is controversial. In reality, electrons are in orbitals around the nucleus and they don't actually spin. However, the motion of electrons is what causes magnetic fields. When electrons move around, they create an electric field and this in turn creates a magnetic field at right angles to the electric field. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetism. The Right Hand Rule states that if you make a fist with your right hand and curl your fingers in the direction of the current then the thumb will be pointing in the direction of the magnetic field. This is useful for determining the direction of the magnetic field created by the electric current. In terms of magnets, poles are necessary. All magnets have two poles - a north pole and a south pole - and opposite poles attract each other while like poles repel each other. This is due to the fact that the electrons in the atoms of the magnet are all aligned in one direction, creating a net magnetic field. The strength of the field depends on the number of electrons and how they are aligned.

1. What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a natural phenomenon that refers to the attraction or repulsion between objects that have magnetic fields. These fields are created by moving electric charges and can be found in materials like iron, nickel, and cobalt.

2. How does magnetism work?

Magnetism works by the alignment of magnetic domains in a material. These domains are small regions where the magnetic fields of individual atoms are aligned in the same direction. When these domains are aligned, the material becomes magnetized and can attract or repel other magnetic materials.

3. What are the different types of magnets?

There are three main types of magnets: permanent, temporary, and electromagnets. Permanent magnets, like those found in refrigerator magnets, have a constant magnetic field and do not require an external source of electricity. Temporary magnets, like paperclips, are materials that can be magnetized but lose their magnetism quickly. Electromagnets, like those used in motors and generators, are created by passing an electric current through a coil of wire and can be turned on and off.

4. How is magnetism used in everyday life?

Magnetism has many practical applications in our daily lives. Some common examples include using magnets in speakers to convert electrical signals into sound, using magnets in credit cards for data storage, and using magnets in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines to create detailed images of the human body.

5. How is magnetism related to electricity?

Magnetism and electricity are closely related, as they are both part of the electromagnetic force. Moving electric charges create magnetic fields, and changing magnetic fields can create electric currents. This relationship is used in devices such as generators, which convert mechanical energy into electrical energy, and electric motors, which convert electrical energy into mechanical energy.