Tags: asthma, cyanosis, lead
Share this thread:
sameeralord
Feb13-11, 03:12 PM
P: 640
As title suggest. Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Rising temperatures can be hard on dogs
It takes two to court: Researchers identify functions of two classes of mouse pheromone receptors
Underground amphibians evolved unique ear
Ozicell
Feb14-11, 12:46 AM
P: 1
Quote Quote by sameeralord View Post
As title suggest. Thanks
Through lack of oxygen in the blood I believe! Skin and mucous membranes begin to look bluish!
sameeralord
Feb14-11, 03:35 AM
Thanks for the reply but I think people with ashtma have less problem in inhaltion, but more problem in exhalation. So it is the resultant increase in carbon dioxide shifting the hameoglobin dissociation curve to the right that causes this. I posted this topic to clarify?

thorium1010
Feb14-11, 04:13 AM
P: 200
How does asthma lead to cyanosis?

Quote Quote by sameeralord View Post
Thanks for the reply but I think people with ashtma have less problem in inhaltion, but more problem in exhalation. So it is the resultant increase in carbon dioxide shifting the hameoglobin dissociation curve to the right that causes this. I posted this topic to clarify?
No asthma has problem with inhalation also (due to narrowing of bronchi). So there is hypoxia which is why there is cyanosis.
sameeralord
Feb14-11, 05:58 AM
Quote Quote by thorium1010 View Post
No asthma has problem with inhalation also (due to narrowing of bronchi). So there is hypoxia which is why there is cyanosis.
But when you breathe in don't bronchi dilate, but practically I can see what you are saying is right.
mtc1973
Feb14-11, 02:37 PM
P: 112
There are more problems associated with exhalation but of course if bronchial muscle tone is high then inhalation rates will also be slowed. But the additional exhalational effects come from the relationship between lung volume and airway diamater.
Incidentally asthmatics are generally not oxygen limited - it is a sign of severe ER requiring asthma if you see a change in blood PO2.
Again - most asthmatics are not hypoxic. This is a severe life threatening situation when an astrhmatic does develop low PO2.
nismaratwork
Feb14-11, 03:38 PM
P: 2,284
The bottom line here is very simple: hypoxic leukocytes = cynanosis. It doesn't really matter if it's from the binding of cyanide, someone holding a bag over your head, or some fashion in which your breathing is restricted. Unless it's peripheral vasoconstriction... see what mtc1973 said. Oxygenated air being displaced by panic-gasps and poor exhalation can lead to a rapid crisis, but it's uncommon. More often you pass out, and your breathing is still labored, but not smothering.
thorium1010
Feb15-11, 01:27 AM
Quote Quote by mtc1973 View Post
Incidentally asthmatics are generally not oxygen limited - it is a sign of severe ER requiring asthma if you see a change in blood PO2.
Again - most asthmatics are not hypoxic. This is a severe life threatening situation when an astrhmatic does develop low PO2.

This is not correct . Asthmatics , during an attack of asthma are hypoxic (depending on severity).

most of the cases are mild to moderate form and are usually reversible by drugs
sameeralord
Feb15-11, 06:24 AM
Quote Quote by mtc1973 View Post
There are more problems associated with exhalation but of course if bronchial muscle tone is high then inhalation rates will also be slowed. But the additional exhalational effects come from the relationship between lung volume and airway diamater.
This is exactly what our teacher drummed into our heads today. If you were in class teacher would have been very impressed

PS: Why didn't you tell this yesterday?
nismaratwork
Feb15-11, 08:41 AM
This is not correct . Asthmatics , during an attack of asthma are hypoxic (read oxygen saturation).
I think you need to do 2 things.

1.) Consider what is meant by hypoxia in this thread, given that it's in the context of cyanosis.
2.) Tell me if you understand that "PO2" is "oxygen saturation"... pulse oxygen, "pulse ox", that little cute red light thing they put on your finger? Yeah, the "Pulse Oximeter".
thorium1010
Feb15-11, 10:07 AM
Quote Quote by nismaratwork View Post
I think you need to do 2 things.

1.) Consider what is meant by hypoxia in this thread, given that it's in the context of cyanosis.
2.) Tell me if you understand that "PO2" is "oxygen saturation"... pulse oxygen, "pulse ox", that little cute red light thing they put on your finger? Yeah, the "Pulse Oximeter".
Po2 is partial pressure of oxygen.

oxygen saturation is the not same and yes its read by a pulse oximeter.

i would like to clarify that cyanosis develops only in severe life threatening cases of asthma or acute severe asthma
nismaratwork
Feb15-11, 10:28 AM
Po2 is partial pressure of oxygen.

oxygen saturation is the not same and yes its read by a pulse oximeter.

i would like to clarify that cyanosis develops only in severe life threatening cases of asthma or acute severe asthma
re bold: That is EXACTLY what mtc said, and you argued with.

Quote Quote by thorium1010
Quote Quote by mtc

This is not correct . Asthmatics , during an attack of asthma are hypoxic (depending on severity).

most of the cases are mild to moderate form and are usually reversible by drugs
Lovely, we all agree then.

Register to reply