Help me in choosing optical chopper

• Thread starter udayag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optical
In summary, The conversation revolved around a person's plan to purchase an optical chopper system for their work. They asked for clarification about the system, specifically about the difference between chopping the beam at 500Hz and 900Hz, aside from the frequency. The other person clarified that the chopping frequency is variable and can be set to any value within the given range, depending on the application.
udayag
hi friends
I am going to buy optical chopper system for my work. But i need some clarification about system. If i want to chop say 2mm diameter of the beam, say it has of chopping frequency from 500Hz to 1000Hz. What is the difference if i chop at 500Hz and 900 Hz except the frequency.

Thank you for advance wishes

Regards
udayakumar k

Engineering news on Phys.org
udayag said:
... say it has of chopping frequency from 500Hz to 1000Hz. What is the difference if i chop at 500Hz and 900 Hz except the frequency.

Note the bold in your question that I added for emphasis. The chopping frequency is variable and can be set to any value in the range given. It's up to you depending on your application.

What is an optical chopper?

An optical chopper is a mechanical device used in optical experiments to control the intensity or frequency of light by interrupting the light beam at regular intervals.

What factors should I consider when choosing an optical chopper?

When choosing an optical chopper, you should consider the chopping frequency range, the optical aperture size, the chopping speed, the durability and reliability of the device, and the compatibility with your experimental setup.

What are the different types of optical choppers?

There are two main types of optical choppers: mechanical and electro-optical. Mechanical choppers use physical motion to interrupt the light beam, while electro-optical choppers use electrically controlled devices such as liquid crystal shutters or acousto-optic modulators to control the light.

What is the chopping frequency range and why is it important?

The chopping frequency range refers to the range of frequencies at which the optical chopper can operate. This is important because different experiments may require different chopping frequencies, and choosing a chopper with a suitable frequency range is crucial for obtaining accurate results.

How do I ensure that the optical chopper is compatible with my experimental setup?

You should carefully check the specifications and features of the optical chopper to ensure that it is compatible with your experimental setup. This includes checking the optical and electrical interfaces, the dimensions and mounting options, and any additional accessories that may be required for proper integration with your setup.